NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...have been a lurker for some time but this is my first post.....

..am wondering if there is a yak fishing group, formal or informal, in OBX? Have been wanting to move from the pier/surf to yak fishing but am uncomfortable doing it on my own without an experienced yak fisherman to mentor me.

Would appreciate knowing if there is a yak group on OBX and whether or not you have room for one more.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Oh, hello again! Welcome aboard!
Kudos on your interest in enlisting a mentor / partner. I'm a pretty firm believer in "The Buddy System" myself -- and in waters like the OBX, all the more reason for (1) learning what you're doing, and (2) not being stuck in a bad position by yourself.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard, I'm sure if you find a few fellow obx yakkers Our favorite administrator wouldn't mind adding another club forum. There might just be a few like minded bankers that have been doing the same thing. If not just tell the ones you see with kayaks out there what you have in mind.
Quite a few Va. folks bring their yaks their yaks down to put baits out from the beach and return to the beach for Cobia and Tarpon fishing. From June thru Nov. If they can drive on the beach I expect that is where they will be. I'd be willing to bet some of them would be interested in sound fishing in their off season.
Regardless of what happens with the kayak club idea you are welcome here. We talk kayaking and fishing. We are just as interested in helping as learning new things our selves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sinker Man....have had a place in Kill Devil Hills now almost 8 years and can honestly say I rarely see anyone yak fishing on the Atlantic side. Granted, we're only down there from Oct-May but only rarely see a yakker up my way. Occaisionally see them around the inlet and on the sound side though and have heard a fair amount about yakkers down Buxton and Hatteras way.

My hunch is there are alot around but I just haven't noticed. I really didn't start feeling the 'bug' about this until a couple of months ago so I really didn't pay attention to it until then.

Its just like fishing...you gotta throw some bread on the water to find them..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Freedomeagle, Just read an article about yacking for reds along Core Banks in Jul07 SW Sportsman. Mentions a Morris Marina in Atlantic that could be a gathering place for yak fishing and info in that area. Just FYI. Tight lines! RickZ da Baitwaster

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.