NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the water early this morning with one thing in mind, catch fish! As per Triggers advice, DOA popping corks and skrimps and assorted top water baits.
After a quick 10 minute hike up the Intercoastal I anchored in front of a creek in roughly 5' of water, baited the kids hooks and began to cast top water baits.
Fish were short striking top water baits, became old after about 20 minutes. Ditched the top water plugs and started throwing the popping cork/skrimp combo.
Within 5 minutes I had landed my first trout, 14" in length. Hooray, fish were present. Continued tossing the popping cork and boated 6 additional trout, the longest being 18". Many more fish were lost than landed but tons of fun nevertheless.
And as if someone flipped the switch the fish were gone (tide was going out)
We proceeded to take a short run up Bonaparte's Creek towards the ocean. Upon clearing the creek I saw that the water was extremely choppy and dare not risk it with kids on board so we anchored up and the kids started fishing again.
Nothing happening with popping corks or crank baits so I decided to fish cut mullet. Immediately started landing blue fish. No size to the blue fish but fun nevertheless.
Again, someone flipped the switch and the fish were gone.
Went back out this evening, couldn't buy a strike so called it quits.

Looking forward to coming back down to Ocean Isle in a few weeks for a repeat performance (crossing fingers)

Rick

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My three are 12/11/and 8. The 12 yr old (daughter) is nothing but focused, she loves to fish, doesnt say a word. My two boys, well, they like to argue. God forbid one catches a fish larger than the other

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.