NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything in particular to be targeting while at ocracoke surf fishing this weekend? I'm definitely a rookie at surf fishing so tips are appreciated, worst case I cast out with my rods and some shrimp and hope for the best, I'm just wondering should I stay on the beach and look for good breaks or go to either end of the island and fish the inlets or does it matter? Shrimp or bait fish (minnows mullet) or large chunks? Again worst case I can do what I have always done and use the double bottom rig with shrimp and hope for the best, but my wife is going and I'm hoping that I can make it fun for her seeing as it is our anniversary and I'm getting to fish too... Thanks guys, red x'ers y'all have fun on the river this weekend, hopefully I can catch the next one.....and what weight is too much for surf? I got some 4oz but thought that may be a bit much they are the pyramids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was planning they are a good shop, are you thinkin finger mullet or cut big chunks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Trade winds for sure. If you've got multiple rods I'd rig one with a drum rig and mullet and a smaller one with a two hook rig with shrimp. The weight required will largely depend on wind and current . I've fished 2-8 oz depending on conditions, but it requires a heavy duty rod to throw the big weights. If you've got a plugging rod that will throw 1 oz lures I'd take that too and be on the lookout for blues or Spanish, need some gold or silver / pink Hopkins lures or similar metal.

Location to fish is also wind dependent, I'm always looking for clean water with no seaweed, then scouting for holes/sloughs (although I'm terrible at it) , the south end of the island is where I usually start

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hope your fishing is better than mine. I was on hatteras the last two weeks and it was terrible. Nobody was catching anything. I did most of my fishing on the north side of hatteras inlet. I was using a mix of finger mullet on my big pole (11'6") using 3 to 5oz breakaway sinkers (they cast great) or gulp shrimp on my 7 foot pole using 1 to 3 oz. The only catches were a small blue and a tiny flounder. If you have a casting net, the finger mullet are migrating and I could have easily filled up a couple of coolers with them (no wonder the bigger fish weren't interested).
I had more fun on my kayak fishing in the sound with chunks of finger mullet (I had plenty). I was catching (and releasing) 1 - 2 lb. blues and puppy drum. I even caught a voracious inshore lizardfish (a rather ugly looking thing).
I'm not sure about this lure thing. 25 years of fishing on hatteras an I have not once seen someone catch anything on one but its something to keep you busy when the fishing aren't biting on your other poles.
The best thing I caught was a nice tan. I hope your luck is better.
-Brian
btw - Happy Anniversary. The misses and I were celebrating #14 while we were there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late response on this, I appareciate everyones input, Ended up fishing with some bottom rigs with shrimp and some larger ones with finger mullet. Went through bait fairly fast, though we (and by we I mean me because my wife took a nap)did ok, lots of foot long blues. No drum at all, though from talking to others seemed to be slow for everyone. It was a good time and the blues were fun to catch. I have a surf rod that is prob 15 years old that was my fathers and the only super exciting and heartbreaking thing of the day was it starting going nuts and soon as i grabbed it the pole snapped and so did the line... not sure what I had but it snatched hard enought to do all that at once.... Hated that that pole borke, not sure if its repairable or not... not really my expertise. Either way good time, good anniversary.... thanks guys for the help....

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Just returned from Ocracoke yesterday ( 4 days ) worse fishing I have ever experienced.
Beach is closed off on some of the best fishing areas. Saw a few fish caught, mostly small & under sized.
Had a great time with old & new friends.
I'll be staying closer to home for my fishing. ....... ICM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.