NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Fiancé has been on duty last few weeks with annual training and I'm taking her to ocracoke for a weekend getaway we both need. Planning on doing some surf fishing and some from my yak in the mornings. Any suggestions other then cut bait from the beach and the usual drum trout rigs inshore? It's our first time on the outer banks. Well have the jeep so will be on the beach for sure on Saturday. Possible Sunday. Headed down Friday night hauling to make the last hatteras ferry.
Thanks
Nick.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Sounds like you know what you are doing. It won't be your last trip there I can assure you. Awesome place and great fishing. Cast netting some live finger mullet from the sound side is all I can add. Little restaurant/bar in the village on the water (silver lake) has the coldest beverages in the world. Take her to the British Cemetery and the little museum in town. Enjoy your weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome this is the info I need! Thanks. Almost forgot about a cast net!
thanks. Anyone else

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Be sure to stop in at Tradewinds Tackle on the island for the latest and greatest inside information. They will take great care of you. I assume you know about the beach permit? If not you'll have to purchase an ORV pass after sitting through about a 30 minute video. The pass is $50 if memory serves me correctly. There are some excellent places to fish. If you're striking out in the sound on trout, drum, and flounder I would suggest catching some fiddler crabs and putting your kayak over in Silver Lake and sheepshead fishing. Good luck and enjoy the OBX. As h20 said, this won't be your last trip.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
What Trigger said on silver lake. Lots of docks to work. Should be able to wear out the flounder in there too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
That little bar is Smacknally's, (awesome place). Take them what you catch and they'll fry it up along with hushpuppies, fries, and slaw for $7. It was $7 last year anyhow.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is some awesome info here. Thanks guys getting pretty stoked for the trip. I did read about the video. It said its a 7min video and yes the pass is $50 for 7 days. Seems expensive but if it goes to preserving the coast I guess its worth it. Can't really put a price on that.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Walk or bike to Ocracoke island coffee co for a good cup of joe- but it will be busy. Howard's pub is an institution for burgers and beers, but I prefer smacknallys or Jason's to eat. Ocracoke island pizza is good, as is the pony island inn for breakfast

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Get you some FRESH shrimp and you should have a blast from the surf. Also- dig up some sand fleas ( mole crabs ) and have at those nicer sized mullets and pompano. Best of luck !

·
Registered
245 Posts
Drum from the beach--Fresh mullet from Tradewinds and head back north on the island. Fish the beach north of the campground and pony pen. Take a few minutes and ride and study the beach. Howards Pub is dang good eating and ice cold beverages. Ocracoke is "special" and ya'll will be planning a return trip before you get on the ferry ride home.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we hauled from Raleigh last night at 6:15 sharp! Made it to the ferry in Hatteras at 10:43 were on the boat at 10:45 pulling away. They don't mess around. Woke up early even this tired to watch the sun rise and check out the town. I'm ready to go! Waiting on the tackle shop to open and sleeping beauty to get up so we can head out. I'll be grabbing the beach pass shortly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts