NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on a drive down I-40 through Orange Co. yesterday morning I saw two dead beavers on the side of the road hit by cars a few miles apart.

Then this morning I open the front door and the smell of skunk hit my hard. I peeked all around the porch and cars but no skunk. Best I can figure a skunk got into it with a coyote or something and my front yard was ring side. Odd and makes me nervous. Don't want Nat opening the door to go to the school bus and have the sucker spray him standing there with the door wide open.

I've spent thousands of hours in the woods in both VA and NC and have yet to ever see a live skunk. What's up with that? A zillion dead in the road and not one single live one ever. Saw two dead here in town Sunday also.

Last week also in Orange my boss put out traps with peanut butter in his attic to catch whatever was making all the noise. Turned out to be two Southern flying squirrels.

Today at work in the back in the garden we had a Peregrine Falcon that sat still two feet off the ground and let us get to within 10 feet for twenty minutes. Finally flew off but that was odd.

Every time I put corn out for the deer in the backyard I get 5-7 racoons within seconds after it gets dark. Why have I never seen one even at dusk or dawn around the house?

Was walking out to my car just as it was getting dark at work last week and huge possum just goes walking by me 20 feet away like I wasn't there.

I've seen a coyote at exactly 8:45 four times in the last month from my bathroom window fifty yards away always going the same way on the same trail but it's not been the same one every time.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
everything is coming out and getting active after a long winter. It's mating time.. Skunks will spray to attract a mate..

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have noticed a lot of hawks and falcons lately. Another one of those creatures that is around but rarely seen is bobcats. I have never seen one while hunting (seen a few while fishing) and I hunted my gf's farm 6 or 7 times last year and fished it dozens and never saw one. Her uncle drove down from VA for 2 half day hunts and both hunts he killed massive cats.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't ever see bobcats either and wish I did. My boss killed a huge one deer hunting just south of Chapel Hill and cooked it for Christmas dinner. Everyone said it delicious. My cousin saw one stalking one of his calves up in VA in daytime in an open pasture and he killed it with a 30-30 from a long way off hanging out his truck window. Told me they weighed it at 48 pounds. He also has a giant barn full of corn for the cows and was having some sick cows and they figured out it was raccoon droppings getting in the feed so they hired a trapper and he caught over 40 out of that barn and one they gave me their word weighed in at 52 pounds.

I used to have some property with beaver problems and killed one with three shots of 00 buck before it stopped kicking. It was so big I couldn't pull it up on the creek bank! My boss claims they got one in Mississippi that went 92 pounds.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was always took the reported sizes and weights of these critters with a grain of salt till I killed a measured 39" copperhead. That's way bigger than they are supposed to get by about a foot. Called my boss and told him I just shot one longer than my bow and he being the snake expert said no way bring it by the house and then i showed him. He was speechless.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
We used to have a "pet" water moccasin named micky that would come out of the swamp next to my house to sun himself on our driveway when we first built the house. He was MUCH larger then they are supposed to get and about as big around as a tree trunk.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend on Holts Lake has a few but he told me he was down at a private hunt club duck hunting in MS this winter and the guy told him that in the early season the slough they were hunting off the big river had as many as fifty water moccasins. Imagine wading in there before sunup for early season woodies................Laffin'

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
National Geographic clocked a Peregrine in a dive on prey at 242 miles per hour and have been recorded killing sandhill cranes, hummingbirds and bats at night. They hit them with a clenched fist and break the back then do a 180 and catch the body on the way to ground if it's small enough to stay airborne with.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I see bobcats quite often down in Duplin county. Seem to see them around swampy areas.

I think you aren't seeing the skunks and raccoons much because they are nocturnal by nature.

Don't see many live snakes near where I live but see quite a few when I go see family in Goldsboro or Duplin County. Always give them their space.

Now this is the type of stuff that gives me the willies: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=364195

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I've seen tons of hawks on the ground lately....maybe northern harriers looking for voles from what I hear. Seen lots of skunks in my time, I'm surprised you haven't Nat's Dad.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Back in the 80s, I was working as a raft guide on weekends in CO and I decided to sleep under the stars one warm summer night. I woke up during the night to see dozens of skunks moving through the area. It almost looked like a migration as they were all moving in pretty much the same direction. Very odd.

I have noticed the suburban animals in the Cary/Apex area have gotten very conditioned to people. I have been within a few yards of hawks and crows several times and a couple of times I have seen foxes just duck behind something and watch to make sure you come no closer instead of running completely out of sight.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I hadn't really seen skunks either, but recently both spotted and striped have taken residence in the backyard. Never have seen a bobcat.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So where does a skunk spend his day light hours?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts