NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out this morning at 4:45 to go off shore grouper fishing. There were six of us in two boats (identical 19' Maycrafts). We left the inlet around 6AM and headed straight for an area 30 miles SSE of the inlet. We fished there and a couple spots 8 miles east of there. We caught a bunch of red grouper, some keeper size but no huge ones. Also caught a bunch of short ones and some short Gag grouper.

Water temp out there was 64 degrees on the surface. We had very calm seas in the morning but was a bit snotty for the ride home.

Here's a picture of the ones I brought home.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Another wow day. I would LOVE to get to head offshore more than a very few times a year but I guess some of have to live on THIS end of the state, otherwise it'd tip over. :D Nice catch and report.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't worry Dave - we left some for our trip in a few weeks. ;)

Actually we fished south of your honey hole, in a general area called red & white on most charts and a few spots east of R&W. I did notice at least 4 boats fishing in the general direction of your area though.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
if the weather is good for us, we'll be about 30-40 miles SE of there, then work out way north back along the drop and troll back to the bowl.

Should be a good temp break just past the bowl area,, should be interesting.

You head out of TS or WB?

Yeah some of them guys though are kinda iffy... the boat that goes out there with the electric reels is the guy to stay away from, he kills small grouper left and right... leaves floaters,,, kinda disgusting. It's obvious he doesnt vent the smaller ones so they can become bigger ones.

Nice catch... Should be some big gags out there

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We left out of Masonboro Inlet - no way I go out of NTI in the dark especially on a dead low tide like yesterday morning. It only saved 3 or 4 miles to leave from there but we got an hour earlier start.

There was one boat, maybe the one you mentioned, that came running up on us and started fishing on top of us (they were in another area and saw us and came over I think). Anyway the boat had a Spanish name (I can PM it if you want it) out of a city close to you. They were catching undersize fish just like everyone else but they keep EVERYTHING! We saw at least 25 fish go in the box - none went back the whole time - there were only three of them. Really makes me sick to see that.

Look forward to fishing with ya in two weeks! Hope we have good weather.

·
Registered
489 Posts
They were catching undersize fish just like everyone else but they keep EVERYTHING! We saw at least 25 fish go in the box - none went back the whole time - there were only three of them. Really makes me sick to see that.

Mike do you have cell phone service out there? I might think of giving someone a call on the radio or something. Rules are for everyone, and won't work unless everyone follows them. Makes me sad that some folks don't have any respect for the fishery.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunetly there is no cell service that far out. We did place a call once we were back in cell range but that was 4 hours later and who knows where they went. Using the radio on an open circuit 35 miles offshore didn't seem wise to us at the time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Using the radio on an open circuit 35 miles offshore didn't seem wise to us at the time.
I'd have to agree. If they are keeping fish that are too small, who knows what other rules they'd break. At least you did make the call when back in cell range which could've caused them to get checked.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Unfortunetly there is no cell service that far out. We did place a call once we were back in cell range but that was 4 hours later and who knows where they went. Using the radio on an open circuit 35 miles offshore didn't seem wise to us at the time.
You are right Mike. It wouldn't be wise to use the open channel. Sometimes I don't think things through before I speak. Chances are they will get caught eventually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.