NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt know where to put this, but wanted to share some pix.
My little (or not so little anymore) boy keeps askin about huntin season.... so... while we have some down time from fishin (especially offshore).. I figured what a perfect time to practice our gun safety and to practice handling our weapons for upcoming hunting season.

Well, needless to say... he had a blast! and at the same time, we even cleaned up some of the hunting area by picking up cans and trash. We figured, we need targets, so we'll use the beer cans idiots throw onto the ground, use them for targets, then pick them up and take them to the trash can when we're done (plus the trash can came in handy for a gun rest for my little fella)

Anyway... we had a fun time and when he hit his first can with his .22.. I thought he'd go ape!! :) Lot's of fun and good way to practice/teach gun safety.
he got to handle his unloaded BB gun for the first time by himself today, he learned how to check it, put it on safe, and most importantly keep the muzzle pointed up and away from anything not to be shot at (and keep finger off trigger too).

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! big barrel'd pee shooter is one of dadda's AR's (for sale in the classifieds by the way..):p

Nope, standard Daisy 670, Ruger 10/22 and the Bushmaster, rain kinda rolled in on us today, so we didnt want to stay out too long.;)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crummy said:
Nice deer rifle you got there.:cool: I plan to start my daughter on the .22 soon.
Ha ha ha... Crummy, dont think the game warden would appreciate me in the woods with the AR... good coyote gun though!;) Dadda uses a Kimber 6.5X55mm Swede or a Winchester Model 70 in .270 WSM for them deer.

I vividly remember the first gun I ever shot, it was a Mossberg .410 at the local cop shop hosted turkey shoot back in the day. Had absolutey no idea what to expect... ha ha hah ah aha... but I remembered it was fun and my dad got tired of me talkin about it 2 weeks after the fact... :p

Not sure how old your daughter is, but for the boy, I just keep our trips out short as he gets impatient and fustrated... he's a just a kid... We only shot for maybe 10-12 minutes, then walked around down a path, then came back to the truck, shot again for about 5 minutes and went back home. something fun to do and got him and me out of the house to do somethin different together which is the most important thing really.

One thing though I'll tell ya Crummy, dont know if you got a gun for her or not, but I kinda wish I started him out on a smaller overall sized rifle in single shot bolt action iron site .22, that's the only thing I would've done different.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
imo a handi rifle made by new england arms is the perfect choice for a beginner a single shot rifle that you can start with a 22lr and can change out the barrel for a differant caliber say 223 or 30-06 or a 20 gauge shotgun..
i have one in 500s&w it is a handful for ME to shoot. so that is why i did not recomend it..

zooker

·
Registered
205 Posts
dave. have a friend who says there is the 6.5x 55, and then there is everything else. He uses 140gr. norma ballistic and everything i have seen him hit has died without taking another step. I use to crack on his little customized paratrooper rifle until me and another friend of ours watched him stop a 356lb bear walking through a clear-cut. this bear died quickly, and I have to say after that I was in awe of that little rifle.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
my father hunts with a 6.5x55 swedish mauser. incredible deer crusher the only thing that the gun lacks is long range -over 500 yards- ability..

zooker

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed on the Mauser

Bud of mine in Clinton was in a pinch and sold me his Kimber Sporter bolt action in the 6.5x55mm Swede... and it is sweet! I do concure on the quick kills.
Zooker's right, gun is accurate as all get out within 200 meters, anything over that, projectile drops at a good clip. Very light recoil for such a hard hittin military cartridge. Never had to "look" for a downed/shot deer with that cartridge.

Swede's use them for Elk and stuff, so light skin'd game around here it's perfect.
I went to Ed's in Vass and found a beautifull Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in the 6.5... fell in love instantly and had to have it... but tackle monkey sucked my wallet dry thru that summer of fishin and by the time fall roll'd around... all I could do is dream N drool. So then this last summer, Ol' Winchester stops makin rifles!!!! :mad: Prices soared and Winchester everything was flyin out of gun shops with guys buyin rifles 4,5,6 and even more at a time!!! Pulled out the emergency plastic and literally haul'd butt to Vass only to find out that beloved Win 6.5 simply wasnt gonna be mine.:eek: So I asked them, what's left? Reply was a lefty .270 WSM, a righty .270 WSM, and two .243's in righty and one in lefty. I'm not a lefty (dont take that the wrong way LEFTY!! :) ), didnt want a .243 and already made up my mind I was gettin a model 70 before they sold out.. so I settled on the .270 WSM.

Balistically... that .270 WSM is a "smokin" round! I only wanted the 6.5 so I could give the son the Kimber and we could use the same ammo... but in the end... he's gonna get the Kimber anyway as dadda really likes that .270 WSM. Little more kick than the 6.5, but nowhere near as brutal as a .06.

No regrets for sure. Love the 6.5 and if you can ever get your hands on one by Winchester, Kimber, whomever.., I highly recommend it. It's a great shooting into cover round and I too used the 140 and 130 grain soft points. Winchester X is what I was using, and had, what I consider, favorable results as we've been eatin jerky and venison steaks ever since I got that rifle. (I shoot consistantly poor, so this round definately helped in the 80-150 yard ranges for me).

My Wichester is new to me and has yet to of been in the woods or fired at anything other than a paper target to get the scope sighted (top'd the rifle with a Leupold 3-9X40mm)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Wellcraft Dave said:
One thing though I'll tell ya Crummy, dont know if you got a gun for her or not, but I kinda wish I started him out on a smaller overall sized rifle in single shot bolt action iron site .22, that's the only thing I would've done different.
I have my grandfather's old Savage Model 6D. It will shoot shorts. My daughter turns 6 next month. We've been plinkin' with the bb gun. Kids attention spans are short so you have to squeeze in alot in a short period of time. My deer "rifle" of choice is a Thompson Contender w/ a 14" barrel, chambered in 7-30 Waters, and Leupold scope.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the only complaint I have with my buddy's beloved 6.5 is that he will not use anything other than 139 grain norma ballistic tips. you can stick your hand through the entrance and exit holes. We have a video of me skinning his piebald that he killed and the holes he put in that deer's neck and shoulder are outrageous. "the price of putting one down fast " is what he usually says. I personally think he's just crazy:confused:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
my pop always uses a 139 gr hornady pointed soft point.. my pops gun is a real german mauser-still has the zeiss 4 power scope on it- pop took it off a deceased german sniper in 1944..sent it home in pieces..pop is 81 and like all old guys he wanders alot -them 3 mile deer drags will make ya feel it the next day..

zooker

·
Registered
205 Posts
his gun is the paratrooper model mauser. when he bought it about 25 yrs ago it had the most horrible trigger pull, about 15 pounds with 2 inches of creep. shortened the barrel, glass bedded it, put a custom trigger on and she is quite a tack driving piece of plunder. or as I like to put it to him he polished a turd:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.