NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this past Monday to the "rise" around 65 miles out. Caught 6 gaffer size dolphins and one 30# wahoo. Had to come back early so I could make my sisters graduation. But we left the fish biting. Ended the last 30 minutes with a 35# bull and a 30# hoo. Back at my house by 3pm in the afternoon

Back to work on Tuesday....got a call from a buddy. He told me his company would fund another trip, all gas, bait, food ect for Wednesday. So how could I not? That night while rigging and prepping little man made it clear that going fishing that much, just was NOT fair for him. His reasoning......"if you don't have to work, why do I have to go to school tomorrow?" So hooky it was for Wednesday (only once right?).

I told him I was not sure if he was ready for a gaffer dolphin, and if we got into some bailers or maybe even a slinger I'd give him a shot. Well he insisted he was ready. Long story short...

Second fish on, the reel was handed to him! And thanks to many episodes of "wicked tuna" he struggled his way to the rod holder and placed his rod in it. He was just a reeling, then he stopped gaining line, at that point he hand grabs the line and pulls while reeling just like on the show, and brings that fish to the BOAT. (15lber)

His first dolphin!! So we headed back in later after a couple more, 1 boated 1 lost at the gaff. Make a stop on some live bottom just to do a quik drop, since we were going right over it anyway. Again, he puts his largest BSB in the boat @ 18"! Next fish he hooks up........this one is what I thought it was! A GROUPER, and his first one of them to! Granted it was 4" short at 20". Not many fish caught, but all well worth it just to see the fun he is having.

He will talk about that day for a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Man you have such a tough job :) Congrats to the little man.

Reactions: brickphil

·
Registered
940 Posts
That is a trip to remember! I think he's more than hooked at this point! Way to go!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's getting hooked more and more. lol When we got back that evening, he wanted to launch his little boat and go flounder gigging. I was tired so maybe this weekend sometime is what I told him. And I would put big money on it, that I will be reminded of that ona regular basis until we go this weekend.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Phil. i want some pelagics for the freezer. hit me up!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will ride for eets!!!! This is my first year going offshore in my boat. I went yesterday around Christmas Rock and me and my wife caught our limit of BSB in a couple of hours. NICE FISH!!!
You were in the land of "the salty large mouth" in that neck of the woods and just didn't know it! :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work. Love seeing pics like those with the young ones holding the fish. Nothing like those memories...NICE WORK
That's what has always brought me the most joy. Seeing the little man reeling them in!!

Only problem is when his is bigger than everybody else's. Then he is a non-stop reminder of it. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts