NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i am just about to get a 22 foot walkaround that can go out as far as 10 miles on a calm day. I've never owned a boat, but have done A LOT of saltwater fishing in canals and in the intercoastal waterway. I was hoping someone can give me tips on how to fish for mackeral or anything at all 5-10 miles out. I have no idea on how to do anything in regards to trolling and rigs and how to know where to go for bottom fishing. I have a house at Holden Beach so is there certain things around there that bite?
Thanks guys
-Michael

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Congrats on the new boat. The best thing to do would be to go to the Forum Jump then to the Offshore forum. Lots of fishing reports and people generally talk about their rigs, where they fished, etc. Also you can use the Search function for saltwater rigs. There's a lot of fish between the beach and 10 miles out. :)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
As Jimbeamii said, lots of good info on here, the search feature will help you alot.

Trolling down your way in the 10 mile range you can catch King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Blue Fish, Bonito, False Albabcores, Amberjack, sharks, Dolphin fish, and barracuda.

Bottom fishing will yield black sea bass, grouper, ring tails, grunts, gray trout, sharks, cobia, trigger fish, lizard fish, puffers, sharks, croaker, sea mullet and others.

I'm sure I missed one or two but that's a pretty good start.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
M. Farmer........ Some good suggestions & you could learn to fish by searching the net,
but you will also get confused by the overwhelming choices, buy way to much of the wrong tackle & still might not catch fish .

Would you try to learn how to Skydive from the net ? I don't think so .....
Well the ocean can be just as scary & dangerous ..........

Hire Capt. John Mallette to take you fishing on your boat .........
He will shorten your learning curve, put you on fish, set up your boat properly & build your confidences on the water ........
This will be best money you will ever spend & you will have a great time ........

If you want his phone # PM me ......... ICM

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If your new at the ocean fishing- my advice is to pair up with another boat and stay close so if anything crazy happens- you'll have some help close by. By all means- wear your PFD when venturing out and going through the inlet. If you remove it- keep it available and not locked up in storage. Keep a close eye on the weather and if at any time you feel uneasy/ uncomfortable- head back in. Let someone onshore know what area you'll be fishing and approx when to expect you back.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
ICM's advice is good even though I would have a hard time equating the dangers of skydiving with fishing in the range you are talking about. John Mallette works with one of our Sponsor's - Jim Sabella of Plan 9 Charters, their info can be found on our Guides and Charters page

Another good one is Rick Croson of Living Waters, his info is also on that page.

I have fished with Jim and Rick and can personally attest to their abilities as well. Never had the pleasure of fishing with John but everyone that has tells me he is an awesome teacher and will put you on the fish!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I fish out of Southport but have fished all over Holden Beach. Your more then welcome to tag along when I am down there. It is just a short run up to Southport and a pretty ride.

You can learn some good trolling methods by just working the sandbars at mouth of the Cape Fear, without going in the ocean. Catch plenty of Blues and Spanish.

As others have said, get to know your boat and take it slow. 22 ft will go where you want it to, distance wise but you need to feel comfortable and have good safety equipment. Best to buddy up, just in case. As you get comfortable, there are plenty of reefs and areas off the beach to catch all the fish that has been mentioned

I have had my 197 Pioneer out 28 miles, in 3, 4, 5 footers but they were not stacked close. Now when they get stacked, then pucker factor can start. Watch the weather, leave early and come in early to avoid afternoon thunderstorms. Thats no fun.

Need anything else, just shout............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.