NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sat down to post this and I'm exhausted from the 4-5 days I spent in Ohio. I'll make this short and sweet. We caught fish. I'll list the lake name and what we caught there....

Mogadore Reservoir:

Fished this lake for quite a while into the wee hours of the morning. It was 36 degrees. We basically wanted to fish at night just so we could get some fishing in right off the bat. The lake yielded nothing to brag about (a channel cat and several bullhead cats).

West Branch Reservoir:

Fished this lake twice. One outing was stationary fishing from a pontoon for carp/cats in a so called "baited" hole. 0 fish. The second outing here yielded a pike! My buddy that moved up there a couple years back has tried like crazy to land a pike since he's been there. Never happened until yesterday evening (our last full day there). We were throwing anything/everything we could to try and catch fish. Nothing would have mercy on us until that pike slammed his spinnerbait mid retrieve. 28"... It made his day and year I'm sure.

Lake Erie:

First of all this place is a monster. Freaking freshwater ocean!! We met the captain at Coe Vanna charters at 6am and got to it. Bouncing a jig/buck tail type lure on the bottom yielded 21 walleye (a new species for myself) and a nice freshwater drum. I wanted a drum as well but it just wasn't in the cards. Click the link for the charter and see us on the home page for Coe Vanna charter's website! We did far better than most other boats that day and recently....

http://coevannacharters.com/home/

We hit a pond a little while also to kill some time before we went on our nightly "endeavors". We had a wild time and it was a total blast. I'll be returning soon hopefully to catch a pike of my own! Good fishing guys!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wanted a drum as well
I grew up in north central Ohio and I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone say that when I was fishing Erie, but they do put up a good fight though. I hope to get up there this summer sometime so I can stock up on some yellow perch.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I grew up in north central Ohio and I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone say that when I was fishing Erie, but they do put up a good fight though. I hope to get up there this summer sometime so I can stock up on some yellow perch.
I figured I'd get that comment. Those drum are sort of like carp in my mind, fun but not tasty or necessarily "sporting"....I still wanna catch one!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
16 Posts
At least when you cant catch walleye or perch you can usually say you at least caught a sheephead, white bass, white perch, or goby on Erie. Unfortunately, that is usually the case when I go out on my dads boat.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had 4 total. Judging from the way we started out I thought we would all limit out. Not the case.

·
Red X Angler
1,137 Posts
Wasemaster.....Thanks for your trip update and all those pix too!!! Very nice trip!! Did you guys get ANY SLEEP??

I was born in Ohio, moved to WV, and then back to Ohio, and then Indiana before heading to FLA, so I was surrounded by both species but never caught a pike or a walleye, so I am very jealous!! LOL!!!
(I did catch one muskie by accident as a teenager tho....)
Good stuff....JohnYaksJax
PS: I also liked your description of Lake Erie....it can get very ugly out there....

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wasemaster.....Thanks for your trip update and all those pix too!!! Very nice trip!! Did you guys get ANY SLEEP??

I was born in Ohio, moved to WV, and then back to Ohio, and then Indiana before heading to FLA, so I was surrounded by both species but never caught a pike or a walleye, so I am very jealous!! LOL!!!
(I did catch one muskie by accident as a teenager tho....)
Good stuff....JohnYaksJax
PS: I also liked your description of Lake Erie....it can get very ugly out there....
To be honest, no, we didn't get any sleep hardly. And believe it or not I'm still feeling the effects of it. Lake Erie was unbelievably huge and it's hard to think of the larger great lakes in comparison. The weird thing was that despite the vast expanse of water, we were fishing in around 7ft-10ft of water for the majority of the time. From just looking at that water you'd think it'd be 50ft or more everywhere. Ironic to say the least.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fished Erie from the Buffalo, NY side, but we targeted smallmouth, and did quite well. Still never caught a walleye. Good job there.
If I ever get back out there I wanna hunt smallies....I'll be honest though, that lake isn't my cup of tea...

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
If I ever get back out there I wanna hunt smallies....I'll be honest though, that lake isn't my cup of tea...

Sent from my kayak...
Yeah, it's a real huge lake. We caught most of the smallies around ancient freight elevators, built back in the days when commerce was wide open on the lake. They were around rocky points adjacent to the elevators.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I grew up fishing lake erie. One can get tons of yellow perch and walleye this time of year. Smallmouth action is fantastic in summer and the Salmon and trout are phenominal. Imagine growing up on that lake and moving to raleigh looking for a lake called Johnson I was told about, when I drove by it I was thinking ok were is the lake all I see is a pond :)

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I grew up fishing lake erie. One can get tons of yellow perch and walleye this time of year. Smallmouth action is fantastic in summer and the Salmon and trout are phenominal. Imagine growing up on that lake and moving to raleigh looking for a lake called Johnson I was told about, when I drove by it I was thinking ok were is the lake all I see is a pond :)
I bet so dude. That place is an ocean!

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts