NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now you guy's are discussing the eletric chicken bait -i actually know what it is- but i never heard of the mc donalds straw rig for spanish. some one want to post a pic of the rig.. i was not born last night and aged real fast. just not used to blue water fishing.

zooker

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Zooker, the Straw rig has been around so long that I have lost track of when it was invented. The basic rig is (beginning at the end of your fishing line) a clear plastic bubble partially filled with water pegged to the end of your line, a black#7 swivel, 30" of 30lb clear mono leader, a 2 1/2" section of Mc Donalds straw (cut at a 45 degree angle on one end) slid down over a 2/0 xxlong shank hook. The best floats are made with a clear plastic that has a rubber feel to it. You fill the float with enough water to make the rig cast good and splash as you retrieve it with a steady jerk and reel retrieve. The float spashing on top makes a sound similar to feeding fish and the spanish come to investigate, when they spot the straw as it is slowly sinking in a manner that resembles a dying baitfish. About anything that will eat an anchovy has already been caught on this rig. I hope this helps,

Al

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Hey Zookie, I have seen a rig made from straws that was similar to a diamond jig also. You know a diamond jig on the bottom and four or five golden hooks on the way up the line. Kind of like a big sabiki rig. I have seen some old timers use the rig with straws some how. My grandfather used to use a rig made out of shells for big pompano and spanish. Strange. Even stranger, 5-15lb black drum on can corn. And you thought trout on gummy worms was wierd.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as much fishing as i do . i can say that NOTHING suprises me when it comes down to what fish will bite..

thanks sinker man..

zooker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.