NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at this reel and think I'm going to buy one.

It's a baitfeeding spinner with a 4.5:1 ratio and 10 ball bearings. Should have a smooth, fast retrieve. It comes with a spare spool too. I'm putting it on an Ugly stick tiger model (live bait rod).

I've read some great reviews about it on other sites. Anyone here have experience with one?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I dont have experience with that model, but I do have experience with Okuma over the last 4 season. They work! I like them and havent had any blown drags or have them fall apart in my hands.

I have 4 Avenger AV-80's
2 Titus Silver 50W's
2 TG-15's
1 old school Titus II graphite 50
and a couple others.....

I would think that the Epixor should be a solid reel, if it performs as good or better than the Avengers, you have nothin to worry about.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did buy it (a 65 in fact). But as it turned out it was too big and heavy for the rod I wanted to use it for so I sent it back. I wanted it for an all purpose backup rig for the boat. Something I could load 20 # on one spool and 12# on the other. Quality seemed good, smooth retrieve and no back motion or studder. I wish I could have tested it on the rod first (I bought it mail order from Cabella's as I couldn't find one in Wilmington). I ended up putting a Penn Captiva 6000 baitfeeder on the rod. It's a few ounces lighter and a perfect match for the rod.

I might try an Okuma on a future rig as I was impressed with the quality price ratio (they have come a long ways)! Just wasn't right for this deal (already had the rod so I could match it the other way).

I mainly have Shimano's and a few Penns but I'm always open to trying new "stuff".

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! If one of those Shimano's is a Spheros 8000 spinning reel, private message me with a price. I'm shopping for a new surf rig, my wife asked what I wanted for our anniversary this month.... :D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If there were any to be had I would get you one and me one too. I bought a used 4000 spheros and a 71/2' Falcon rod from a guy selling out his stuff after moving here from Fla. for $25 his price. I couldn't pay him fast enough. He said that nobody seemed to know what it was. I know he had to be disgusted. He said that he thought he was getting a bargain when he paid $150 for it new. He kept it in good shape and I'm suprised somebody else didn't buy it at that price. I have some good connections but these are reels that stores return either because the didn't sell before the new models come out or returns. I have a shot at some good deals but you never know what or when. I have gotten perfect new stradics for as little as $18 same price as he was asking for symetre and spirex's. Shimano's and penns are the hardest ones to come by and I normally can't be picky about what I want. I still run into some darn good deals though. AL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.