NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Okuma Stratus CS reels? Trying to find specs online like max drag but can't find anything. They are on sale at Dicks. Just wanted to see if anyone has any info on them. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
From what I've seen, anything okuma= waste of money

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
https://www.okumafishing.com/ They don't list it on their factory website so that makes me thing they are a "made to Dicks specs" reel. Walmart does this with some reels now too. That generally means cheap cheap. If IM going to spend that little $ on a reel IM not going to expect much. But In my experience a Shimano Sienna $29 or a Sedona $59 would be my first choices. I have had good service from my Okuma Avenger as well. http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...LA_021379573&gclid=COXOsZG1qMACFZTm7AodPDoAIw

Reactions: RouseD and papadave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got it. Love it. Stupid good reel for the money. Picked up a 3500 when it was on sale and I had a something off coupon, thing was basically free. Never had an issue out of it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the time comes to replace an aging 5000 series Penn.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just curious. They have 8+1 bearings and are "normally" $80. Was hoping someone knew a few more specs other than what's on the box.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I fished with Timbo today and he says he loves his Stratus reels. I will say he was flinging jigs and boating flounder just fine on his..

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Don't get focused on bearing count. You can put 15 bearings in a blob of monkey metal.
Bearing count today is used to take your eye off the ball.

Just like metal flake gel coat is on bass boats. It keeps your eyes focused so you don't look around too much underneath it.

Coming from Okuma at that price...they'll be low grade bearings anyway.
I'd rather save up another month and go after quality, longevity, and parts availability. Some brands namely the name brand reels, parts are easy to come by from numerous places.

First decision to make is to buy disposable or something to last many many years.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
To answer the OP just take a bucket of water and weigh it on a scale. Start at 5-7 lbs. Tie line to bucket handle outside and move thirty feet away. Don't lock down the drag but set it to what you normally tighten it to. Now set the hook but do try to cross its eyes and brake your rod. If drag works then tighten it down but never lock it down completly so as to not damage anything. Now continue to add water and weigh (two - four lbs based on results.) until you get your answer.

Setting the drag to about five to seven lbs. is all you need to set the hook in most applications and then just adjust the drag when conditions dictate.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Don't get focused on bearing count. You can put 15 bearings in a blob of monkey metal.
Bearing count today is used to take your eye off the ball.

Just like metal flake gel coat is on bass boats. It keeps your eyes focused so you don't look around too much underneath it.

Coming from Okuma at that price...they'll be low grade bearings anyway.
I'd rather save up another month and go after quality, longevity, and parts availability. Some brands namely the name brand reels, parts are easy to come by from numerous places.

First decision to make is to buy disposable or something to last many many years.
DR has a good point but if I had waited until I could buy "quality" reels I probably would have given up on fishing long ago. In the $40 price range any reel is temporary, but how you maintain it and treat it can make a huge difference in its longevity. I have cheap reels that have been used hard and still get it done. They are now more "loaners" for friends or equipment I chunk in the truck to go "plinking/exploring but they still work. Others are in a pile of parts I steal bits from when I can or just keep around to remember specific catches..

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had a couple of these reels several years ago, and they are fine for freshwater use, esp if you can get them cheap (on sale, with coupon, etc.) They were very smooth when new (and before saltwater!) -- cheap bearings that won't hold up in salt. I lost one when I flipped a yak, but another one actually broke. that is, i dropped it scaling a steep bank and the support arm that connects the main gear house to the foot actually snapped. and thereby I unfortunately discovered the arm is not a solid piece, so vulnerable to breakage. this was, i think, their 1000 class UL version of the reel, so it's possible that arm is more substantial in the larger sizes. FWIW // joel

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
DR has a good point but if I had waited until I could buy "quality" reels I probably would have given up on fishing long ago. In the $40 price range any reel is temporary, but how you maintain it and treat it can make a huge difference in its longevity. I have cheap reels that have been used hard and still get it done. They are now more "loaners" for friends or equipment I chunk in the truck to go "plinking/exploring but they still work. Others are in a pile of parts I steal bits from when I can or just keep around to remember specific catches..

My mind is rooted in economics. You can buy it multiple times or buy it once. The "false economy" of deals on reels is just that. A false economy. All that matters at that point is how long you'll stay in the sucker hole before you decide to climb out.

I'm pretty patient. If I have a choice to make between buying a hunk of no name brand monkey metal with 22 bearings today or waiting another few weeks to a month on getting a well known name brand..........I can wait. I'm not an impulse buyer. I know that if I don't wait, I'll wind up wishing I had and I'll wind up paying 2 or 3 times for the reel I actually wanted to start with counting all the reels it took me to bite the bullet to get to where I wanted to be .

I fished with junk growing up and even as an adult a lot of used reels. At some point I just shoveled all my stuff in trash bags found a dumpster and bought something worth having. I enjoy fishing now more than I ever have and I never have disliked it.

Some of this budget or economy class fishing gear is alright for the occasional person that fishes occasionally.
For people that go fishing more regular.....leave that stuff on the shelf. It's a false economy if there ever was one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think a bit of it boils down to who is using it and if its taken care of. Spend a pile of money on sonething and treat it bad, you will have issues. I've got this reel in 3500 and it's my tarpon and snook reel when im going in the backcountry. Juvenile tarpon and under slot snook both are quite the drag pullers and it has performed as well as higher end reels. Currently I use it as a yellowtail setup and haven't had an issue. A freshwater rinse after use and some general maintenance ever so often.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I was a big Okuma fan up untill about 2 years ago... quality of the reels have gone down hill ALOT in the last few years and customer service is a joke... you might as well junk the reel or have someone fix it locally when it breaks because it will...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I might be missing something but does anyone sell a reel under $100 and give any decent customer service on it ?

Reactions: RouseD and papadave

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Shimano Sedona FD $ 60.00. The bail is not braid friendly so I spend another $21.00 including freight @ eReplacementParts for a far superior aftermarket bail. Reels are almost five years old (except bails) and are still crankin like new. I fish minimum of twice a week and tear the reels completly apart at least three times a year because old habits die hard.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Shimano Sedona FD $ 60.00. The bail is not braid friendly so I spend another $21.00 including freight @ eReplacementParts for a far superior aftermarket bail. Reels are almost five years old (except bails) and are still crankin like new. I fish minimum of twice a week and tear the reels completly apart at least three times a year because old habits die hard.
Thanks for the insight! Gonna check that site out.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts