NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try to go old drum fishing next week in the western Pamlico sound area. 1st time ever trying... Can you catch them any time of day? Any places to buy bait ? Will be launching at Hoebucken I think... Thanks!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
If you're gonna get bait from Dave it's best to call plenty ahead(a week or 2 don't hurt) and reserve.

Don't forget big pinfish for bait...........

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm really itchin' to try try this! Hope you have an epic day!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Looking at the satellite view on google maps it looks like all the way east to the mouth of Jones bay there are 2 shoals sticking out into the bay, Mink Trap point and directly across from it a shoal leading up to little drum creek. Having NEVER fished the area, and knowing it is early in the season, I would watch for signs of bait there and fish both in front, on, and behind those points if I find any bait on the depthfinder and into those creek mouths if I don't, or if the other methods/locations come up short, because the Reds will work those for crabs if they are around at all . My opinion based on very limited experience but when I fish unknown waters I try to think it through using what I can find on charts and the web maps. If it is bright and sunny I would fish deeper holes and channels but I know some would disagree. Try both the Lupton rigs and Popping corks as both have their advantages.

Reactions: RouseD
1 - 11 of 11 Posts