NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the late report.

Last month my buddy Rob and myself hit the Neuse river in search for the Old Drum that we kept seeing on all the reports. We did plenty of homework and worked up a plan. It took us the course of 2 trips to get it done but it was worth it. The 1st trip was a good learning experience where we had 3 hookups and short fights, but no landed fish...in 2ft chop that was breaking over the back of our kayaks. The 2nd trip was a lot more successful. Conditions were great, sheet glass at first then a small chop as the day/evening went on. We couldnt find much bait popping but threw lures under popping corks for a good bit before we found a hole to anchor at and soak bait. After a while of doing this some shad started popping to my right so I started throwing the popping cork at it, then Rob started throwing his too. I saw out of the corner of my eye a huge boil right were he dropped his 1st cast, then saw his rod bent over. For a few seconds we were both in shock and not reacting until we snapped out of it and realized it was finally happening. Rob unclipped from the anchor and went for a ride. Less then 5 minutes later he had a 47" drum on his lap. What a beautiful fish it was and we were stoked! We got back to the anchor and about 30 minutes later a mullet on the bottom got hit and then it was my turn. Not quite the fish Rob just landed but I was stoked to land one at 38"s. We sat and soaked bait for a while longer but no more takers and we came home a couple happy dudes!!!

Finished editing some video of it last night and will post the link once I get it uploaded on YouTube but here's a couple pictures we took and a screengrab I got off the video.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the link to the video. I have to give a warning though, there is just a small bit of profanity at the very end of the video. It was an awesome experience and look forward to many more.

My rod/reel for popping cork is 7'0" MH rod. Fierce 4000 reel. His, the one used in this video, is similar.

http://youtu.be/hfgtzViZ-Qw

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I got smoked my last two trips...Ego....Check....Humble again :)
Now u make me wanna go again..........
P.S. Go pro is Awesome.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.