NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me, my brother, and my dad went out Saturday morning to find some slot drum and whatever trout and flounder we could spook up. We were running along to able bay when we saw a lot of commotion in the water about 75-100 yards off our starboard bow. We slowed down and figured it might be dolphins or sting rays, but figured we should take a closer look. Well when we got withing 30-40 yards it was clear that it was big old drum chasing bait. It was amazing! these were 40-45 inch fish busting on the top partially coming out of the water. There was probably 10-20 fish in this school, maybe more. Luckily for us my dad had decided a year ago that he wanted to try and catch one of these things on top water. He figured if they would hit a popping cork they would hit a top water plug too. So this summer we have been carrying 2 ugly stick tiger lights with us incase we came across the right situation . On them we had some giant surface plugs that we used to use when we went fishing for stripers out of the surf at OI. Me and my brother grabbed one and cast out. On my second pop i had a fish knock it out of the water. On my 5th pop, BAM! a big fish took it and started peeling drag out headed for Ocracoke! My brother hooked up after his third cast. His ran toward the boat and we thought he had got off for a second. Mine took about 15 min to land and his took about 10. We still went fishing for slots after that but didnt do anything, didnt matter to us though :D.

Here are some pics. You can see the surface plug I was using in some of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It amazing to find them like that. I like a big rapala skitter pop. Caught quite a few that way. Nice catches

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
That is... Exactly what I am talking about....Sick.

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
591 Posts
Timing is everything eh? :D I am jealous...nice catch and way to take advantage of a good situation !!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Timing is everything eh? :D I am jealous...nice catch and way to take advantage of a good situation !!
Rather be lucky than good. We weren't even looking for them, just happened across a rare occurrence. We happened to have the perfect gear on hand to deal with them, thanks to my dad. Watching a 40 inch drum come out of the water chasing a big mullet is pretty wild though. Soaking a big chunk of mullet on the bottom waiting for one to hit will be harder to do now after this :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts