NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to use new 8wt on old red in the neuse near minnesott beach. What was the rig for popping cork on a fly. A little foam and 12 inch leader then a clouser? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope I can get it all together. Hope not to have the "chunk and dunk". I'll have to cast a few at the lake first

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I would go with 18-20 inches between the foam and the clouser tied on a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. I also strongly suggest stepping up to a 10 or 12 wt.
Agree with Trigger on this one for sure. I know occasionally bull reds are caught on light tackle, but most light flyrods just don't have the backbone to do what is needed to pull in searing runs. You will need a couple hundred yards, 250 yards or more would be better, backing on your reel, a good strong drag and a good rod.

Good luck

·
Registered
378 Posts
I desperately want to do this. Where type of areas are you looking for when targeting the old drum on popping corks?

Also I got the boat and the gear if anyone want to put me on some fish. :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yep...that's the next program.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks trigg and Scott . I will beef up and hope to have a middle aged red. I will be using a Lupton rig and the DOA on a popping cork.. I read more than I have line time. Thanks again

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Interesting thread. I have a 10 wt fly rod, and wouldn't mind catching an old drum, but I had just as soon catch some smaller reds, and trout on a smaller fly rod that I could cast all day. If I ever get the chance to go for old drum, I'll take a the 10 wt. Otherwise, I'll use my 7 wt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well now to do my homework this week to locate those creeks and dropoffs that hold bait and gulls feeding. I know that they are in a good location near by but we have to follow the birds. Hope to be on the water next weekend with popping corks and mullet ready to soak It's more fun in the prep than in the catching? I don't think so. Here is hoping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts