NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have an opportunity to go on an old drum fishing trip in SC in a few weeks. I can't really afford to buy any new gear so I am trying to put together an outfit out of what I have. Here are my thoughts so far:

I have several abu garcia 5500 and 6500 reels, so I am planning to bring my 6500 with 65lb braid, but I don't really have a good casting rod to use with it. I have a MH rod but it is 10'. All of my other rods are spinning rods that I use the 5500's on for pomps and stuff. Is ten foot wayyyy to long for soaking bait in the surf? It is a cheaper rod so I'm not entirely convinced it will even hold up to a big old bull.

My next option is my penn battle 3000 for using a popping cork or some other artificial. I have a 7' medium heavy gsx rod that I use for jigs/texas rig for largemouth and stripers. It is very stiff but I'm worried a big drum might snap it. I have a Penn power stick G spinning rod that is 7' but is a lot heavier of a rod,I think it might be designed for offshore jigging? Would it be a better option to pair the 3000 with?

I have no idea what kind of power to expect from a big drum, what set ups do y'all use?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the 6500 it is. Thanks ICM. What do y'all fish popping corks with? The same big rods? I called a buddy and we are trading some fishing gear so that I will end up with a 7' Penn conventional boat rod to pair with my Abu.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay thanks! I never really understood why everything varies so much in how they rate their rods.

As of now my plan is either my abu 6500 or my penn 555gs on a penn mariner 6'6 boat rod for soaking bait and my penn battle on my gsx tournament 7' mh rod for popping corks. I know its not ideal but its what I have available.

Now just to pray I can get off if work to go!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Okay thanks! I never really understood why everything varies so much in how they rate their rods.

As of now my plan is either my abu 6500 or my penn 555gs on a penn mariner 6'6 boat rod for soaking bait and my penn battle on my gsx tournament 7' mh rod for popping corks. I know its not ideal but its what I have available.

Now just to pray I can get off if work to go!
I've also found that work gets in the way of my fishing WAY too much.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
you can get ya a 4000 sedona right now on dicks online till midnight, if they dont sell out for only $30 with FREE shipn! i just ordered 2 2500's. the 4k will work fine for old drum with the right rod and 30lb braid

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
2500 and 4000 sold out :( I missed it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.