NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my old Wellcraft with the Seadrive the throttle won't open all the way and reverse doesn't engage all the way. I think I've boiled it down to a sloppy control box. It has TONS of play and the high-idle lever is almost broken. I've taken it apart and cleaned/lubed it etc....it's time for it to go and I'm getting a new one. Don't want to rebuild it.
With an '87 motor, and the wire harness/ignition and T&T NOT going through the control box but it is separate on the dash....can I use any BRP/OMC control box? If it comes with new cables that's fine but if not, I think the cables Ive got will be just fine. I've seen a variety of them on eBay for $295-$450
Thanks guys, I appreciate it

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
What is your time frame? I have a universal control box that was on a Merc years back, but I remember that it could be used on any motor by changing the set-up. I think it is in my Dad's barn but I won't be down that way till late next week at the earliest. If your not in a hurry I could post some pics when I get down there to dig it out. Your welcome to it if you can use it and want to pay for shipping.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your time frame? I have a universal control box that was on a Merc years back, but I remember that it could be used on any motor by changing the set-up. I think it is in my Dad's barn but I won't be down that way till late next week at the earliest. If your not in a hurry I could post some pics when I get down there to dig it out. Your welcome to it if you can use it and want to pay for shipping.

Darrell
Darrell I appreciate that brother but I did want to get it done rather quickly. I've got a friend who isn't long for this earth that needs to go fishing as much as possible. I've been wanting to finish getting this boat seaworthy but now, I am on a timeline and my wife said "make it happen, now". No more putting this boat on the back burner!!
Thanks anyways man, that's a generous offer

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem can also be the cables themselves. They stretch and get stiff.
Yeah I think you might be right. I am about to go out and take a look at everything and see what I need to replace so I can get it done.

So, I can pretty much use whichever control box, right? Since I am only needing the shift/throttle. Of course OMC or Evinrude would be best I'd imagine (or universal like Darrell said). Anymore input?

Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.