NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well first i`d like to say i am new at the kyack scene and new at fishin in a kyack - todAY I FELL IN THE WATER GETTING IN THE YAK AND FELL IN THE WATER GETTIN OUT THANK GOODNESS NO ONE SAW ME - HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME TROUBLE - I KNOW WITH A SIT ON TOP IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WORSE - DON`T KNOW HOW YOU GUY`S SIT ON TOP - AND I DON`T KNOW WHY THEY MAKE A BACK STORAGE - WHEN I`M OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF A 20 FT. DEEP LAKE THERE IS NOOOO WAY!! I`M GONNA REACH AROUND AND UNDO THAT HATCH !!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I think the sit-on-top's are easier to get in and out of at the shore. Seats are higher (less distance for your bottom to travel) and you don't have to tuck legs into the cockpit.

As for the rear storage, my only advice is to pack light and get good at reaching behind and fumbling around without looking. Each year it seems to get a little farther away back there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
well first i`d like to say i am new at the kyack scene and new at fishin in a kyack - todAY I FELL IN THE WATER GETTING IN THE YAK AND FELL IN THE WATER GETTIN OUT THANK GOODNESS NO ONE SAW ME - HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME TROUBLE - I KNOW WITH A SIT ON TOP IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WORSE - DON`T KNOW HOW YOU GUY`S SIT ON TOP - AND I DON`T KNOW WHY THEY MAKE A BACK STORAGE - WHEN I`M OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF A 20 FT. DEEP LAKE THERE IS NOOOO WAY!! I`M GONNA REACH AROUND AND UNDO THAT HATCH !!
You are officially a kayaker now. SOTs are not any more difficult that sit in or canoe but if you think you are never gonna get wet you are in the wrong business. Put on your swim trunks and get out there a couple of times and you will get it figured out one way or the other. Just like learning to ride a bike except you should have on your life jacket. Also a good time to learn how to get back in your yak if you tip in deep water. UTube might help.

Good luck. Hope the learning curve is a short ride to the top.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The body just follows the head.
You can do about what you want to if you keep your head on or close to the center line.
Watch his head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lKrxYfKKk

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a 12 ft pescador sport (older tarpon 120). I weigh about 240. I also only have fingers on one hand which really limits my ability to retrieve anything on the left side of my kayak. But the beauty of a SOT is their stability. I simply turn sideways and with both legs in the water on one side of the kayak, I retrieve what I need and then turn back around. I've never tried it in rough water and probably won't but it's doable in calm water. And, despite the stability, I've fallen/turned it over more than once getting in or out. High banks and/or something slippery under the water can get us all...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I dont own a yak, but Ive been/fished from both. I would prefer the SOT if I were to buy. Its easier to get in and get going, but you will get a little wet. As far as the storage goes, get a milk crate to put your things in, it makes it easier to reach and once you get the hang of it you might not even need to turn around to find what you want. But like Jeffonc says pack light

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I think SOTs are easier to get in and out of, having been in both. I also think they are better fishing platforms for most situations. I currently have a sit in and I am building a sit on. I will keep the sit in for some uses. Try both and go with what you prefer.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Lot's of good advice, one thing I'd add is you need to loosen up your hips and let the boat move under you. If you do the guy thing and fight the movement of the boat your balance will shift off center and you'll be going swimming. Getting in and out is a lot easier if you position the boat so the bank side touches the bottom.

Me? I only fall out of little bitty canoes...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have both. Its all up to the individual's choice. My wife bought a OK sot and I used it for awhile. Bought an ultimate and sold it too tippy. Now have a commander 140. Love it but its going too. I am moving back to a SOT. My reasons are more personal then performance. But to give an idea I like the ability to use a scupper for a cart and anchor pin. The commander is super stable but you store all gear with your anchors etc. Tired of mud on everything at the end of the day. Holders are availalbe but I keep my yaks very simple. So the wind also catches the commander more then the OK. A sit in has lots of storage but its all exposed. The SOTs typically have hatches which are nice. I stand to fish alot. Probably fifty fifty my back causing issues and I like to sight fish. So I think a sot is also more versitle if you only want one yak. You can use them anywhere. Sit in will sink if you take a wave. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
one nit - sit ins *can* sink if there is no flotation inside and the get fully swamped. flotation can be pool noodles stuffed behind the seat. I think "will" is taking it a little far and the wave has to be a big one to swamp. I haven't swamped mine in piedmont rivers or protected sound waters. But it is a valid point that deep water re-entry is difficult at best in a sit in. It isn't trivial in a sit on either. But for the vast majority of inland fishing, swamping is not a big concern. But it is less of one in a sit on.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I find it odd (not doubting you and def not meant bad) that you found the ultimate to be tippy. I have an Ultimate 14. It's a solo model but I use it to take my son out in from time to time. He's 6 and the two of us can both stand up and move about freely in it. I stand in it solo and throw the cast net or stand and paddle. That said, I also have a Tarpon 140 and much prefer it over the Ultimate. To me, it's more comfortable, tracks better, and is faster.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ultimate was a 12 not 14. I could stand but it was tippy compared to the OK sot. I stand in it too although it is not comfortable. Just watched a guy sink his sit in while surf fishing. Waded out and helped him drag it in. Yes "can" may be the best word. I still fish in my commander and Trigger, I too still like that old sot kinda like your tarpon. Not saying its old as it seems folks take me too literal sometimes...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If I ever get to the point that I can afford to get a kayak, I'll be looking seriously at the Wavewalk fishing kayak. That thing looks like it's pretty dang awesome.

http://wavewalk.com/
We have one. We bought it used from Dbeam 2 years ago (W500 model).

It's not for big people. Maybe up to 250lbs or so. I SO wanted to use it, but at 320lbs I essentially swamped it. They claimed 350 pounds for capacity (I don't know this, but I think the W500 was originally the goal weight capacity for this), but it's "evenly distributed". I actually thought of cutting some old rectangular pool floats and glueing them under the pontoons for extra flotation, but I thought that might be too dangerous.

I gave it to my 12 year old. He's only about 5'9" and 170, so he can ride it properly and he stands and paddles it. If you're the right size for it, it is as stable as they claim. The upright riding position is comfortable, but you may want to rig up a seat back any way to relax.

if you buy it, get the hull stiffener.... The two pontoons have a tendency to spread apart in hot weather.

NOT a good boat for a rocky stream.... Ask Darrell about his nightmare trip on the New River with it. And while they show videos of it launching in the surf.... There are no scupper holes... Plan on a very good bilge pump.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.