NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flash photography Building Wood Comfort Ceiling
Cargo pants Military uniform Military camouflage Military person Flash photography
Flash photography Shorts Wood Beard Darkness
Photograph White Light Flash photography Rectangle

Been pretty busy down on OB this week and last week. Lots of reds with some keeper grey trout and two black drum that were just under the slot mixed in. I'm fishing mostly at night due to my work schedule but fishing has been good during the day as well from what I'm being told by the anglers leaving as I arrive.

All fish were caught on cut mullet or shrimp with a 4oz weight to 6 inches of 40# mono leader and a #6 circle hook. The best bite for us has been the beginning of outgoing tide.

One bull that fell a half inch short of 40 inches. :mad:

Don't hit the surf at night without a headlamp, jacket, and glowsticks. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good looking fish. I was out on Onslow Monday and Tuesday for quite a while and I just can't seem to get the hang of catching fish from the surf. I mainly use the same bait but can't figure them out or the location out. All I got were a couple small blues, a croaker, and a pinfish. That mainly what takes awayy bait while its out. I mostly just go because my kids can play around while I "fish" and they get wore out as I get frustrated. Better than not fishing though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking fish. I was out on Onslow Monday and Tuesday for quite a while and I just can't seem to get the hang of catching fish from the surf. I mainly use the same bait but can't figure them out or the location out. All I got were a couple small blues, a croaker, and a pinfish. That mainly what takes awayy bait while its out. I mostly just go because my kids can play around while I "fish" and they get wore out as I get frustrated. Better than not fishing though.
If you're not driving on the beach or walking out onto the officer beach then you'd be somewhere other than where I have been catching them. Make sure you use fresh mullet. I like to use a whole 4 inch mullet and cut 3 or 4 slits on each side of him. If the bait stays out for ten minutes and doesn't get hit bring it in and put a fresh one on. Bait gets washed out fast in the surf and they are finding it by smell.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Great report. Do you need a permit to drive on the beach, and if so where do you pick it up.
You need a permit to drive on the beach and then only when no training is being conducted. The permits are gotten at the Game Warden Station on Main Post of Cp Lejuene off Parachute Tower road.

You have to have a military ID card to get them, either active duty or retired.

Also must have a 4X4 vehicle to drive on the beach. There are certain areas you can drive which is about where the old Reisley Fishing Pier was to the point (inlet of New River).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.