NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting a pair of waders and a light surf rod 8 ft medium maybe and going out to onslow beach. I don't have a 4 wheel drive vehicle so I'll probably walk if I end up going. I don't like throwing live bait only artificials. What can I catch there in all the seasons? Is my rod choice alright? What kind of artificials do you use in the surf and weight? And if anyone knows how long the walk is, I'd love to know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I personally would go a little shorter on the rod, 7'6" maybe, if you are only throwing artificials. Be looking for small schools of stray drum or trout this time of year. As for waders, I can't speak for all, but I believe they are a must have in the cooler months. A nice set will last a while, and help keeping you warm. (neoprene) I don't have the expertise though to specifics on onslow. Hopefully you'll get what you need.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally would go a little shorter on the rod, 7'6" maybe, if you are only throwing artificials. Be looking for small schools of stray drum or trout this time of year. As for waders, I can't speak for all, but I believe they are a must have in the cooler months. A nice set will last a while, and help keeping you warm. (neoprene) I don't have the expertise though to specifics on onslow. Hopefully you'll get what you need.
Whats around the surf in the fall, spring, and summer worth catching in nc? And what artificials would work? Grubs and swim baits with a 4th or 3/8th ounce jig head? Or more towards gotcha plugs and hard plastics?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My setup is going to look like a 8-8.5ft med fast with a conflict or battle 3000. 15lb braid. Still unsure about leader size, lure choices and wt, if waders are absolutely needed, what fish are in the surf in the seasons

·
Registered
39 Posts
Winter: drum and trout. Spring: drum, trout, bluefish. Summer: flounder, pomps, spot, mullet, bluefish, sharks. Fall: all of the above. Users choice on baits. I tend to lean towards swim baits all year. (Unless bluefish/ Spanish are around) 1/4 oz. heads, and mono. (I prefer the stretch in the surf/ less visible. Again, this is all general info. Hard to get specific unless you know what you want.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winter: drum and trout. Spring: drum, trout, bluefish. Summer: flounder, pomps, spot, mullet, bluefish, sharks. Fall: all of the above. Users choice on baits. I tend to lean towards swim baits all year. (Unless bluefish/ Spanish are around) 1/4 oz. heads, and mono. (I prefer the stretch in the surf/ less visible. Again, this is all general info. Hard to get specific unless you know what you want.
Appreciate the help, for sure excited for the surf. Now that I know what's there I'll start doing my own research on what works

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thinking about getting a shimano convergence inshore, for the surf. Not sure if it will work or not. Stats Are below, I doubt I'll throw anything about 3/4th in the surf cause I'm only fishing artificials. What do y'all think?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Length[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]7'6''[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Power[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Medium[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Action[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Fast[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Mono Line Rating
(lb)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]8-15[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]PowerPro Line Rating
(lb)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]10-30[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Lure Rating
(oz)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]1/4 - 3/4[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Reargrip Length[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]10.0''[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Foregrip Length[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]3.5''[/FONT]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just 2 cents from an old surf rat, you want the waders, not only because of the time of year, water temp, so on, but because you don't want to have to even think about whether or not your feet are in the water but rather reading the beach, where you are going to try to place the next cast, how far it needs to be and the hit you're trying to get. You, the rod, the line and the lure, not whether or not you're feet are wet. If you wade into a cut between a bar and the beach like in Billy's pics above, WEAR A BELT around your waist on the outside of the waders. Lastly, if I could only take one plug this time of year on onslow beach, it would be a white on white 52 series or TT mirrolure slathered with pro-cure. If I had more room, spoons, metal like hopkins or Krokadile(sp?) Good Luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just 2 cents from an old surf rat, you want the waders, not only because of the time of year, water temp, so on, but because you don't want to have to even think about whether or not your feet are in the water but rather reading the beach, where you are going to try to place the next cast, how far it needs to be and the hit you're trying to get. You, the rod, the line and the lure, not whether or not you're feet are wet. If you wade into a cut between a bar and the beach like in Billy's pics above, WEAR A BELT around your waist on the outside of the waders. Lastly, if I could only take one plug this time of year on onslow beach, it would be a white on white 52 series or TT mirrolure slathered with pro-cure. If I had more room, spoons, metal like hopkins or Krokadile(sp?) Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice ghmason, what do you mean by a belt? Can't see the pics too clearly on my phone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like a utility belt, an old (tight) cartridge belt, or any old belt that will seal the waders off from allowing water down in, in the event of a fall/slip. Hypothermia kills and you can actually float if you step too deep. Waders get much water in 'em things get dicey quick. Again, just my opinion based on experience and observation.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I walked from the parking area to the New River inlet area in waders last year in an hour or so. I bought breathable waders at Eastern Outfitter and wore fleece under them. Waders are a must. I haven't had much luck from the shore, but I only went a few times and still think I struggle with reading the beach lines and breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I walked from the parking area to the New River inlet area in waders last year in an hour or so. I bought breathable waders at Eastern Outfitter and wore fleece under them. Waders are a must. I haven't had much luck from the shore, but I only went a few times and still think I struggle with reading the beach lines and breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the information, hopefully I can catch on to reading the surf pretty good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.