NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without a doubt, I am the world's worst fisherman in moving water.

Fished on Saturday in Big Elkin Creek, Cub Creek, and even tried the DH section in Stone Mountain SP so that I could at least feel a trout on the end of my line. All efforts were completely futile.

Fished with tube jigs, inline spinners, Joes Fly lures, flies below a casting bubble, and even corn on a hook.

Nada.

All around me, people were catching trout. Similar baits, and as far as I can tell, similar presentations.

I just don't know how to fish for them or how to fish moving water.... Frustrating to the max.

THe worst part is I had my 12 year old with me, and HE got skunked too. Hate it when that happens.

Oh well.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I got skunked along with some good friends from farther east, on Wilson back in January, I want to get myself and them back up that way soon and try to redeem myself.

One of these days the dam is going to bust and you will be dragging in trout, and fish on beetle spins. Who knows maybe at the same time.

When you get some vacation time we'll have to try them again up this way.

Darrell

·
Registered
69 Posts
I fished in several of those places on Saturday. I found the fish tucked in at the very end part of fast runs or right on the edge of fast running deep channels. The fish were pretty concentrated in these too. I never found just a single fish at a time. Every spot with 1 fish normally had 3 or 4 along with it. I was using an egg pattern fly most of the time and simply bouncing it close to the bottom through the run and then picking it up and putting it right back down through the same run. But also my nephew and I both caught fish on pink trout magnets in the same types of water.

I understand how you feel though. I spent the first 2 or 3 hours on Saturday feeling like I was going to get skunked and was starting to get discouraged. We caught 2 fish in the same place and a little light went off in my head. From then on we literally just walked to each area that looked similar and kept having good results. Not sure if the fishing pressure was forcing the fish into these areas or that most people weren't fishing them at all. Probably a bit of both. Anyways, good luck to you. Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to try again on Saturday. Anyone available to show me what I am doing wrong?

Elkin, Mt Airy, Wilkesboro.... anywhere 90 minutes or less from Winston Salem.

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand... but I am not very confident in moving water kayaking.

As for fishing moving water.... I need to be able to walk away in total disgust when everyone around me limits out and I haven't even felt a nibble. Can't do that in the middle of a float :)

Reactions: Swampin'
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.