NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some opinions. I'm planning on going out some where tommorrow and am thinking of going back to New Bern area and trying for trout and stripes or trying somewhere new and going to white oak river. Some one posted on another thread about catching trout and sheepshead around a bridge on the white oak. I've never caught any sheepshead before so that would be fun (seen em caught on pier many times but never caught one myself).
What do yall think? Nobody has posted in a while, anybody have some up to date reports on these two locations?
Also as far as sheepshead, can anybody give me some tips on catching these suckers? I have read about scraping barnacles of the bridge pilings to chum for them and using barnacles for bait but not all pilings have them. What else is good bait for the sheepshead and do the suckers bite this time of year with it being cold?
Thanks for any thoughts yall can throw my way.
may your next trip be full of tight lines and LIGHT WINDs!
James

·
Registered
791 Posts
I usually stop fishing for them in October as the water has normally cooled off some by then.. However the temps are just starting to drop now so you might find a few sheephead still inside.
Use fiddler crabs for bait. Them and sand fleas are the best baits goign for them.
As for "Chum" Crush up some old clams or take a small hoe with you. Scrape the barnacle off one of the bridge pilings and then fish around that.
Should still be plenty of trout left in that area too, quite possibly a few reds to boot. I've not fished down that way at all this year though so I can't give you an accurate report for now. Look up Bait shops in Swansboro, there is one off the 24 right next to the bridge, they'll fill you in.

rye

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info rye a friend of mine that I haven't seen in while is going to take me out tommorrow but I 'll will have to give them a try sometime.
What is the best time of the year to fish for sheepshead?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.