NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody get on this lake with a yak? I spotted it on Google maps and drove out to the area. However, I could not find any access. I know it's dammed up by hwy 70 and the Eno runs through it. Don't mistake it for Orange lake.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Anybody get on this lake with a yak? I spotted it on Google maps and drove out to the area. However, I could not find any access. I know it's dammed up by hwy 70 and the Eno runs through it. Don't mistake it for Orange lake.
Thanks,
Scott

I've tried it twice and so has a friend. We both found it silted in and almost devoid if fish. It's a lot of trouble to get a yak into as well. I'm not even sure you wouldn't get in trouble for fishing it. Much, much better places that this one.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Make sure we're all talking about the same place -- you mean the small lake/pond NE of orange lake? (see arrow on image below) It is open to the public (game warden confirmed) but from all reports it's not a good fishing lake at all. Orange lake is kinda-sorta open to the public if you have an annual permit (and can manage to get in touch w/the guy who sells them) -- it's more like a public resource that's been essentially privatized. the attractive looking reservoir west of orange lake is not open to the public. i suspect it's going the same way as orange lake, i.e., private access with some nominal public access -- but it is NOT public now and you will eventually draw the attention of the game warden if you "sneak in" (just warning all -- i know it's tempting!).

FYI -- joel

Ecoregion Map Green Natural environment Vegetation

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joel, Orange Alamance lake is south of orange lake, right along hwy 70. This lake is much smaller than orange lake and this mysterious reservoir that you introduced to me.....very tempting!!

I located this spot more for the paddling and less for the fishing. I saw that it connected with the Eno. I am always looking for a nice easy paddle on a local, lazy river, clear of floating trash, and tons of people. I don't think that's possible anymore.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Gotcha -- you mean HERE. Looks like access is the key problem there. Hillsborough just hasn't made access to its water sources a high priority. There's also King's Highway Park in Hillsborough -- decent access, just not sure the fishing is worth the effort.

fyi -- joel

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If you want to paddle and MAYBE catch a fish put in just upstream of the Hillsborough waste water plant and go upstream. You can almost make it to within 200 yards of the dam of the lake you first asked about. Watch out for crazy Orange Co. druggies that like this park to park and do their deals. I think I once caught a 1.5 pounder down near the dam on a buzzbait but that was prior to the improved parking for lowriders and other miscreants (not to be confused with the Hillsborough city council).

Or you could just go somewhere safe and fun with fish to catch outside the city limits.

·
Registered
229 Posts
theres no access to it. not unless you drag the yak through the woods for 2-300 yards off hwy 70 to the dam. only other place would be off lebanon rd. landowner has nice little boat ramp area ,but the landowner will not let anyone on his property..i have tried..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.