NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a day trip to Dawson Creek this past weekend hoping to snag some red drum and speckled trout but, alas, no luck. I spent about 3 hours paddling the creek (I fish from an Ocean Kayak Prowler 15) working the edges of the grass areas. I showed everything I had in the box ... grubs, bucktails, soft plastics ... all to no avail. In talking with others at the boat ramp, no one was reporting any bites. I did see a couple of hawks carrying some good sized fish around in their talons as if to mock me.

Although there were no fish to be had, it was a great weekend. I paddled about 5 or 6 miles and thoroughly enjoyed my time on the water. There will be other trips when the fish may be more cooperative.

Coach

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Not even a stick?
:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That is really what it is all about anyway. getting out and enjoying the day. you don't have to catch fish to do that. On days like that time is better spent just paddling and observing what you can. When they do get hungry you will know where to look for them. check out the NOAA SST maps for the weekend and the days leading up to it. I think the answer to 'where are they?' may be in the warm water in Core Sound. Need to check with Forrest on that one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fished yesterday AM(3/16) in 5 creeks off the Neuse. Caught a ton of small specks...fish in every creek. Also took a 9 pound striper near Oriental. Caught all the fish on soft plastics...bait evertwhere as well.
Capt Gary

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dan
Good to hear from you! The winter striper fishing was a bust out of Cape Lookout....it stayed way to warm. I had some good trips out of Oregon Inlet....when I could get out. We landed a number of fish between 25 and 30 pounds. I'm doing well on light tackle on the Neuse right now....fishing above New Bern. Roanoke sized fish on average, not the number but more fish over 5 pounds. Averaging 10 to 15 fish a half day. Maybe I can get you out for cobia, kings, dolphin, in late May or June on the new boat?
Good fishing!!
Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.