NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Booked a place in Oriental waterfront home for a mid-May weekend. I have been fishing fresh water in RTP area only and this is my first time ever bringing my boat to fish saltwater. As a newbie, I am particularly looking for the following:
1. Saltwater boating safety tips
2. Any special fishing regulation for that body of water
3. Fish species to target / expect mid-May
4. General area to try and lure suggestions.

I know this is a lot to ask. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I forgot to mention it is a small boat 17.5 ft with 90hp motor, so fishing area will probably be limited to the river/creeks.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You will need an inland and coastal fishing license. Trout will be around, but more so the mouth of creeks and in the main river. Small reds will be around and flounder. Cannot keep any flounder however. Top water in the morning, jigs with plastics with and without popping corks anytime and spinner baits work well for reds.

You can put in at the wildlife ramp right in Oriental and fish that area, or head 5 miles down to Dawson Creek wildlife ramp and fish that area. Bay river is something to consider if it is windy, the Neuse gets nasty quickly. I am down there almost every weekend, but have not been out fishing much due to other things going on. Will let you know what I can, stop by at Neuse River Bait and Tackle in Grantsboro, they will help with the latest fishing reports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the great info! Already bought the inland and coastal combination license, so I am good there. In term of wind, I usually won't go fishing on any of the inland lakes if wind speed is over 15mph. Can I safely go by the same standard in the Neuse main river? Or 15mph is still too much for a 17 footer?

I will try to stop by Neuse River Bait and Tackle for sure. Thanks again!

You will need an inland and coastal fishing license. Trout will be around, but more so the mouth of creeks and in the main river. Small reds will be around and flounder. Cannot keep any flounder however. Top water in the morning, jigs with plastics with and without popping corks anytime and spinner baits work well for reds.

You can put in at the wildlife ramp right in Oriental and fish that area, or head 5 miles down to Dawson Creek wildlife ramp and fish that area. Bay river is something to consider if it is windy, the Neuse gets nasty quickly. I am down there almost every weekend, but have not been out fishing much due to other things going on. Will let you know what I can, stop by at Neuse River Bait and Tackle in Grantsboro, they will help with the latest fishing reports.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Depends on wind direction, but you can always just stay near the creeks if necessary. SW or NE 15 mph wind the main river can be tricky, but you can still fish the main river and run to other creeks if you pick your spots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it. Makes perfect sense as the main river direction is SW / NE. Thanks!

Depends on wind direction, but you can always just stay near the creeks if necessary. SW or NE 15 mph wind the main river can be tricky, but you can still fish the main river and run to other creeks if you pick your spots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

Booked a place in Oriental waterfront home for a mid-May weekend. I have been fishing fresh water in RTP area only and this is my first time ever bringing my boat to fish saltwater. As a newbie, I am particularly looking for the following:

Hello all,

Hello all,

Hello all,

I have never had much luck in that area, but I know some fish are around this time of year. Other than the standard trout/drum/striper on lures I’ve heard locals have caught pompano, black drum, and croakers on a standard bottom rig with shrimp (probably more of these fish in the summer). But be warned, some of the creeks have LOTS of snags and hang ups, so a mirrolure or weed-less rigged soft plastic would be the best bet for lures. Good luck man I would love to hear a fishing report when you get out there!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Being new to salt water fishing, I am not holding my hopes high. But should be a good experience nonetheless.

I have never had much luck in that area, but I know some fish are around this time of year. Other than the standard trout/drum/striper on lures I’ve heard locals have caught pompano, black drum, and croakers on a standard bottom rig with shrimp (probably more of these fish in the summer). But be warned, some of the creeks have LOTS of snags and hang ups, so a mirrolure or weed-less rigged soft plastic would be the best bet for lures. Good luck man I would love to hear a fishing report when you get out there!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be out there in a couple of weeks fishing for slot reds and speckled trout. I usually fish the creeks in the fall but I don't have much springtime fishing experience or main Neuse fishing experience. When nothing else works I rely on popping corks with DOA shrimp for action. But I'm up for trying something else new. Does anyone have any advise for May? Is it worth crossing the Neuse if the wind is out of the south?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts