NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went the past two Sundays and wore out the Old Drum Last Sunday we caught 15 and this Sunday we caught 21 and lost several more. Fished 6 hours the first day and 4 hours this past Sunday.

If we could have kept bait in the water longer, we could have caught more. Pretty chaotic for two people. Here are a few photos,

Boat Vertebrate White Shorts Water

Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Fin
Water Cloud Smile Sky Vertebrate
Water Sky Cloud White Sunglasses
Water Cloud Sky Sleeve Outdoor recreation
Water Sky Cloud Goggles Sleeve
Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Boat

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both of us were fishing 3 rods and we lost a bunch while doubled up. We had to put a rod in the holder while we helped land each others fish.

We didnt throw popping corks, stayed deep with bait.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I can't picture a day half that good ever happening to me. Congrats.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's insane! Very well done. I'm going try for the first time for them in that area next weekend. I'd be plenty happy with just one, but I'm keeping my expectation tempered b/c I don't really know what I'm doing. I did a little research though on catching them as well as releasing them just in case. I don't want to risk landing one and not getting a proper release.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Are u on Oriental side...or south river side...? I got that first one weeks ago...then blanked twice...gonna try one more time...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yo...are u fishing Oriental side...or south river...I've not figured it out.
LOL....These are highly migratory species that travel hundreds of miles to feed and spawn inshore.... Do you really think they are only going to be feeding on one side of the river?

But to answer your original question, "yes" and "yes." The WIND is usually the great dictator as to what location is the most fishable. With most specimens pushing 3-4 feet in length and 40-50 pounds, these fish do not have a compass or a preference for a certain side of the river to feed. The bait moves around, and so do the drum. While the north side may be productive for bait fishing in 12' of water, the popping cork bite can be amazing 10 miles upriver on the south side in 6' of water. All in the same day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.