NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am going to bring my boat down to Oriental on Saturday. This will be my first time in anything other than a lake. I have a small 16ft aluminum multi species (bass) boat. Any tips/areas to avoid? I am hoping to get into some reds/trout. I was thinking of going up into the Greens/Kershaw creek area and maybe the main Neuse if waters are calm. All tips welcome!

·
Registered
143 Posts
You may find some reds in the creeks along with some trout. My go to bait this time of year for reds is a spinner bait with a gulp on it. A popping cork will probably do well too. Your best bet may be out in the main river tho. As long as its not too rough. The main ramp in Oriental will fill up FAST

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You can also try the ramp on Dawson creek, trout are close to the bridge there. Have been catching them also on the main river, first light with top water then jigs with paddle tails. Creeks still have some snot grass in them, so creek mouths and main river have been more productive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You can also try the ramp on Dawson creek, trout are close to the bridge there. Have been catching them also on the main river, first light with top water then jigs with paddle tails. Creeks still have some snot grass in them, so creek mouths and main river have been more productive.
Do those creeks evenutally get fresh or brackish enough for freshwater fish ? I know Slocum does, but wasn't sure about that far down. Thanks,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll probably try Dawson Creek, since it sounds like the main ramp may be pretty busy.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Do those creeks evenutally get fresh or brackish enough for freshwater fish ? I know Slocum does, but wasn't sure about that far down. Thanks,
Brackish, yes. Not sure about freshwater. Have caught perch in the creeks around here, see gar, but have never caught sunfish or bass.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thanks! I'll probably try Dawson Creek, since it sounds like the main ramp may be pretty busy.
Really shallow on the river side of the bridge, just a skinny channel for a ways, stay on the creek side of the bridge, unless you plan to go for ways.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be careful coming out of Dawson Creek. We have caught trout, drum, flounder on the docks just on the west side of the mouth of the creek. As said it can be shallow.
Are the docks publically accessible? Given the weather forecast for rain/storms in the morning, I'm thinking about just bank fishing/dock fishing tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts