NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang!

I have been out of pocket for a few weeks or really just haven't been online much. I hope everyone is doing well!

I did go offshore weekend before last on the Capt. Stacey 24 hr. trip and we did real well! A lot of running as we went north and out from Hatteras. Got pretty rough around lunch time Sunday but the rougher it got the more fish we caught. I like that because it weeds out the tourist/fishermen and makes for a lot more room. I only caught two legal size Groupers and they were Scamps. No Reds or Gags this time. We caught the largest Black Sea Bass in significant numbers that I have seen in a long time. Caught some nice Grunts, Trigger Fish, B-liners and Silver Snappers. As has been the norm for many years now, no big American Reds.

On the fresh water front we have been catching nice White Bass in the Eno and Flat Rivers. Hooked a nice Striper in the Flat but couldn't land her. Been catching some nice Crappie below the tail race at Jordan.

Take care!

Mark

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff,

You are right. The Flat runs into the Eno above Falls. You can get to it by boat by putting in on the Eno off of Red Mill Rd. just off of 85 North. I usually go to the bridge that crosses the Flat on the Old Oxford Hwy (75) off of Roxboro Rd. in Durham. You actually cross the Eno before you get to the Flat on Old Oxford Hwy. That is a good access for the Eno also for wading or in your case kyaking. The above mentioned portion of the Flat is good for that as well. Email me if you would like more info. [email protected]

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Thanks again. I think I was fishing the mouth of the Flat where it connects to the Eno earlier this year. Even with the water up, it didn't feel much like a river, so I didn't think that was where we were. It was just west of the power lines about a mile downstream from the red mill boat ramp on the eno. Only time I've been up that way. I need to try it again sometime when the water is a little more pleasant (like now!).

I had heard that the whites run in the Flat about this time of year, and always wanted to find a bunch of them on light tackle.

Does anybody know of a mapping site that shows creek names?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Flat is an awesome little river. The mouth that feeds into the Eno is a great place to fish. Especially once the grass gets up around the points. There is very good Bass fishing there all through the summer early in the morning and at night.
I have also caught some huge Bluegills there and on up the river when they are spawning later in the spring. Unfortunately I sold my boat.........BIG MISTAKE!!! I might have to break down and start kyak fishing!

You can put yours in where I was talking about off the Old Oxford Hwy. The river is plenty big enough through that section and there is plenty of room to park. At the most lately there has only been one other care when I go down there. I rarely see anyone. I am sure that will change when it warms up. There are probably a lot of bank fishermen on the weekends too.

Mark

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another good place near there that would be excellent for your kayak is Holt Lake. Just continue on out Old Oxford Hwy and follow the signs to Interstate 85 and Butner Federal Prison. You will see Holt Lake Rd. near the Prison. Holt Lake is probably 500 acres or so with a nice run up the river. All kinds of excellent fishing there!

Mark

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, but I just had to show off my homemade rod holder over here for everyone to see. Please forgive me for being proud! I made this while I was out of pocket for a while.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey there I went by the eno on old oxford road last week and saw cars and trucks everywhere.. I have a canoe and would like to know if its worth putting it in at red mill road by the bridge there and if so which way towards the lake or toward durham? thanks
this is my 1st post fyi...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Old Oxford Hwy is a good place to put a canoe in. Don't mind all the cars, they are mostly bank fisherman. I usually wade it but a canoe would be excellent!
If you keep going about 5 more miles on the same road you will come to the Flat River bridge and that is a great place to put a canoe in. I have never seen more than one other car when I have been there and that gentleman was putting a canoe in.
There are probably a lot of folks there on the weekend. But they are most likely bank fishermen. I usually only go up there during the week so I can wade around and not worry about everyone else.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.