NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will most likely purchase an outback for $750 or a ride 135 for $400 this evening. Wanted to get a few thoughts from ya'll on the better choice
between the two for use in the Southport and F. Fisher area. Probably won't be lifting it on an off a vehicle much, so weight in that regard is not applicable. I'm 6' and weigh 150. Opinions?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The only thing that comes to my mind is that I see a whole lot more Wilderness Systems boats around here than I see Hobies. Aside from the cost of the Mirage Drive(tm), I'm not sure why Hobies don't seem to be so popular around here. Ride 135 seems to be very well-respected, I'd be surprised to see it sit long at that price.

(I've seen Glenn's Hobie AI, but not many others.)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
BTW, Sandbar, Cape Fear Kayaks ought to be doing their first tourney series of the year this Saturday (the 22nd) -- you might want to give them a call and see if you can meet up with some folks...

(I haven't called to confirm their schedule yet...)

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
They're both solid, stable boats with good reputations. Both considered on the heavy side, but weight isn't your primary concern. If it were me, I'd probably pocket the $350 and ride the Ride.

The inshore salt water fishing I've done would have me doubting the outback. I've never done it with a Hobie, but it seems that the fins would be under almost constant beating on oyster beds, rocks, sand and mud. More of a hindrance than a help. Can it be done? yes. Is it done on a daily basis? yes. Is it the most efficient use of a Hobie? I doubt it. Can it make up for it with open water speed & no hands capability - maybe, depends on how far you have to go to get where you are going...

I don't picture the Outback as a good paddler - wide & short. If it were the Revolution I'd think again - longer, sleeker shape for getting through the water. Use the mirage when depth allows and blow away paddling or paddle happily when its too shallow for the mirage. But you're not going to find a Revo at $750.

The Ride has a giant tankwell - must have more storage than the Outback.

The Ride also has a good reputation for standing - the wide channel hull allows for poling/sighting fish in the shallows (for reasonably sized persons). Not as sure about the Outback - should be pretty good given its width.

Take some pics of whatever you go with!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Fort Fisher is SHALLOW. I run aground all the time in my Pheonix 160. Most motor boats have to be able to draft 6 inches or less to get around in there. Not to say that a Hobie wouldn't work but you would have to take a different route than most folks.

I say get the Ride 135. Also, for about $775 you can get the new model which is a massive improvement over the original. This kayak is a great standing platform which will be appreciated in Fort Fisher.

Also, I can tell by the price that the Outback is used. If you get it make sure you get all the gear and check it for leaks. Hobie had a real bad problem for a few years with the Mirage Drive tourquing the hole for it. Make sure there are no splits or holes in the kayak.

Be sure to send me an email to sign up for the Meet and Greet on June 28th at Fort Fisher!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Mullet -- is that just a new name on the same store, or is it a whole new enterprise, new people, the whole shebang?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Is the tourney series still on? This Saturday is the 4th Saturday of the month...

(Unfortunately, my chances to participate are somewhat remote... it's possible, but not likely at the moment...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.