574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outboard Motor Repair Service

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back in the first week of April, I took my boat and motor to Collins in Smithfield for repair. The motor would run and rev in nuetral, but would not rev when in gear. I was told the repairs would take 2 1/2 weeks.

After ~4 weeks, I called and was told they were really backed up, but would get on it right away. After ~6 weeks, I called again and was told the parts were on order and should be in a about a week, it would only take a day or so after they came in.

Around week 8, I called back again. I was then told that my parts had mistakenly been put on the special order shelf, with my name on them, just as if I were going to come pick them up. He said it was a good thing I called, he didn't know how long the parts would have sat there. I was then promised that they would get it done right away.

Well a week later when I called I was inform that the repairs were still not complete. I told them I would be there the following Friday to get my boat, that would be week 10, 2 1/2 months (not weeks)

I called again on the Thursday, the day before THE Friday. It still wasn't finished!

Anyway, they pronounced it "done" when I called on the cell on my way to pick it up on Friday.

Now here's the kicker! I put the boat in at the ramp at my father-in-laws, started it up and it ran for

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I wish I'd of known you plan'd on takin it to Collin's.. cause I would of steered you to someone more capable.

Two guys I know of that have bought boats and had service performed on their boats both had bad experiences with Collins.

I guess for future reference... here's folks that I would use and in the pecking order...

Copes Marine in Wilson or the new place for Cope's off Hwy 64 there by Jordan
Very competent tech and very efficient and quick with parts/service now they have a new service manager

Chatlee off US1 (Etec and yama) Lot's of parts and on time

Choplin (For any Merc related stuff) Good on parts and on time service, plus good folks to deal with

Merritt Marine in Hillsborough (Johnson/Merc/Yama) Carl knows his stuff hands down, he and his boys can fix anything. They're excellent with the older motors and rebuild stuff.

Not to pick on my buddy over at Grubb's in Winston-Salem, I know they got a good tech, but they're kinda slow and have mis communications on parts and ordering (Sorry Buckshot.. but y'all will get it straight one day and maybe "on-time") :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts