NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've gotta keep my Jackson Cuda 14 outside. I moved to Carolina Beach in December, have a fenced in backyard with privacy fence. I kept it under the stairwell leading to my deck at my old place, was sheltered from rain and elements.

A tarp will be covering it. It'll be stored upside down, so I'm trying to find two sturdy stands of some sort to hold the bow and stern of the boat to keep it off of the ground when not in use. Sounds pretty easy, I know, but just wondered what other people use. That said, anyone have ideas for something I could buy/quick-build that will be sturdy enough to hold it off the ground for backyard storage?

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Saw-horses. I actually leave mine sitting on its side where the plastic is much thicker and more dense against a wall or something often, too. You just want to not have it on an object that can compromise the shape of the yak when the sun gets it hot and sort of softens the plastic.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Mine's on a homemade wood stand made of 2x4's. "L" shaped, with cross ars at top and base of the risers, with the kayak on it's side on the foot of the "L" and leaning against the rising part of the L. I used 2 springy door stops (to keep home doors from hitting walls) on the toe of the foot to keep the kayak from slipping off... They bend when loading, but pop back up and will keep the kayak from sliding off. Then I cover the whole stand and kayak with a tarp, and use carabiners through the grommets to keep it closed around the kayak.

Works for me. And takes a lot less space in my small townhome backyard than storing the kayak upside down.

kayak is 41" wide by 12' long, so I bought a 10x15 tarp... Allows me to wrap it pretty good. May get a reflective one for the summer.

IMAG0045.jpg

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw-horses. I actually leave mine sitting on its side where the plastic is much thicker and more dense against a wall or something often, too. You just want to not have it on an object that can compromise the shape of the yak when the sun gets it hot and sort of softens the plastic.
See, this is a concern I've had. I like both ideas suggested so far, but I feel like the plastic saw horses might be a better option due to the warping risk. I have an extend-a-bed to transport my kayak, and swear I saw the plastic become mis-shapen after it sat on my truck for a day or two under the sun. Doesn't really affect performance though. But sine it'll be outside I wanna be careful with storage, especially when we start hitting upper-90's weather with a tarp on it. Saw horses might be what I stick with.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I'm using lightweight pier blocks with 2x4s. If you are worried about deforming you could pick up a pair of foam kayak cradles but I haven't had a problem with any of my boats warping.
That's what I was going to suggest also. The foam blocks to rest the yak on would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
PVC stands are easy, but you've got to have a large PVC cutter. I copied one I found on one of the kayak sites. Can't remember which one, but a Google search for "PVC kayak rack" will give you dozens of options. For warping concerns, cut a piece of appropriate sized pipe insulation or large pool noodles and gorilla glue to the pipes that your yak will rest on.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PVC stands are easy, but you've got to have a large PVC cutter. I copied one I found on one of the kayak sites. Can't remember which one, but a Google search for "PVC kayak rack" will give you dozens of options. For warping concerns, cut a piece of appropriate sized pipe insulation or large pool noodles and gorilla glue to the pipes that your yak will rest on.
I like this idea

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I like this idea
Yeah, I considered PVC... But it priced much higher than the wood one. I only have hand tools, so I got the wood cut to size at Lowe's before starting work. They didn't cut PVC, I didn't have a special tool, and dreaded hours with a hacksaw.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Check out kayaking.com for some suggestions on care, storage and transport. Here's a portion of their guidance for storage:

BEST
: Standing Upright - The best storage position is upright on the stern, with the hull surface flush to a wall. This position minimizes stress. While this space saving method may be common for kayak warehouses, it is the least realistic storage solution for most people. However, for those with the luxury of such space, it is convenient, cheap and ideal for preventing any type of oilcanning.

GOOD: On the Sidewall - A good storage method is to place the kayak laying on its sidewall with the hull against a wall, either on the floor or on a rack. Commercially made racks or webbing slings are available for sidewall storage. This method reduces the material stress on the hull surface, though not as much as in the standing upright position. Avoid having the kayak sit with its sidewall directly on the floor. Use foam to support at the positions before and past the cockpit and avoid placing anything on the kayak’s sidewall while in storage as this will counter act the stress reduction of the sidewall.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Cut a large pool noodle to fit on the tops of those plastic saw horses. a little cushion helps and store out of direct sunlight if possible

·
Registered
142 Posts
20160321_173106.jpg

Here's mine minus the clutter lol, works great too. I made it the same height as my truck bed for easy loading. I just back up to it and snatch the yak on the truck or pull it off onto it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is made of 2x4s and pvc run lengthwise to flex and support the shape of the hulls image.jpg (cut with a hack saw. Only takes a second to cut through). Holds my 2 hobies up top (there is an outback on the other side of the revo) and an ultimate tandem below.

best part is that it's the height of my truck bed so I simply back up to the rack and slide the kayaks into my truck bed for easy transport

1 - 16 of 16 Posts