daytrips and are looking for a few good freshwater holes in the area. I
heard of a good place west of Manteo but couldn't remember the name. We
would like to stay within a hours time. Any responses or suggestions
would be of great appreciation, and who knows maybe we'll see you
there. Thanks. BILL

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Bill, I'm not familiar with the fishing west of Manteo but I used to fish Back Bay and just a little in Currituck Sound and both were Great!!! But that was 25 yrs. ago. Dismal swamp looked very intriguing but I was always in a hurry to get to the banks and saltwater. I stopped a couple of times and fished alongside the road a couple of times on the way back. I did catch a few but nothing major. I always wanted to get back in there on a boat and give it a better shot. I would say if you like flyrodding for bass upper Currituck Sound and Back Bay should get a chance by all means. A shallow draft boat of kayak would be very helpful. MY favorite lure for those places was a #3 1/2 Snagless Salley silver blade with a black and white skirt but yellow w/ a gold blade and white w/ a silver blade sometimes out fished it. They are still made by Hilderbrandt. AL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Try Coinjock canal

Hey Bill, try the Coinjock Canal located about 20 min up Hwy 168. It's part of the ICW. Just before you cross the bridge (not the Wright Memorial but the next big bridge) there is a turn off going to Waterlily. There are plenty of places along the bank of the ICW where you can wet a hook. About a mile up the road there is a public landing. I've caught a lot of different species there; schoolly rock, jacks, flounder, catfish, all types of bream and sunfish. Use bait or lures, cutbait, eels, blue rattle traps work really well in there. Make sure you have a license.

Another quick trip is to the Bodie Island lighthouse. Park in the parking lot and walk down the trail to the little landing there. It's saltwater, but it's the sound. You can catch trout, puppydrum, flounder, spot and croaker. Crabs, too, if you are interested.

West of Manteo is the Scuppernong River in Columbia. Rock and sunfish, catfish. There's a nice pier and access right downtown at the welcome center. That's about the end of your hour ride. If you don't mind riding a little farther, try Lake Matamuskeet. Catfish, crappie, bass. That would be a nice day trip. You'll need a license there, too. Hope that gets you started.

Dave

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Bill, Mattamuskeet is huge but it's shallow. You are basically talking about knee deep water. Some of the local canals might be a little deeper. It is part of the national wildlife refuge. I haven't fished it but it is supposed to be bass bugging paradise. If you don't have an 8wt flyrod and an assortment of deerhair bass bugs no worry, The Snagless Sallys or any other weedless bass lures should keep everyone busy. A Johnson Spoon with a pork frog or weedless floating worms come to mind as good bets for this type fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.