NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to fishing all together and very new to inshore fishing. Almost everything I know , I have learned here on NCAngler, website research, or YouTube.

I decided to fish around Morehead this weekend with a buddy to chase drum. I was advised from a fellow NCAngler member to fish around the marsh, throw top water and a Johnson Silver Minnow spoon. I paddled around throwing in the marsh for a while and then the wind started picking up. It was then I realized my homemade anchor was absolutely useless. I then decided to paddle behind a bank to get out of the wind. As soon and I turned the bank, I saw bait flipping and darting in every direction. I quickly got into casting distance and squeezed in close to the marsh to stay out of the wind. I casted a spook Jr and on my first cast, immediately when the lure hit the water SMASH! My first redfish top water hit (what an explosion)! As soon as my line got tight from my cast my reel started screaming. He probably pulled out a solid 50 feet of line treating my Penn Fierce 2000 like it was a ball of yarn. It was at this point, I felt a little undergunned with this reel. After a lengthy fight and a couple runs, I got him in visibility where he then saw my kayak and ran out another 50 feet of drag. With my anchor issues I was having earlier, this drum towed me in several different circles like it was nothing. After another ridiculous fight, I finally got him in the net. After measuring at 29", I then had to try to figure out how to take a picture with my shaky, andrenalin ridden hands (sorry for the quality.)

This drum is the first overslot I have ever caught and he hit topwater which is an experience in itself. Feeling the power behind this beautiful fish was an experience of a lifetime. If I wasn't hooked on inshore fishing before (which I was) I am now.

I got stationed in Havelock about a year ago and decided to pick up fishing all together as a hobby because I couldn't see of doing anything else around here. For the last year, I haven't had the greatest success and it has been a pretty steep learning curve. I diligently kept scouring this sight and asking questions and bugging all of you. I want to personally thank anyone who has helped me and given me advice. You all have literally taught me everything I know and made my learning curve that much easier. I by no means consider myself experienced by any means now, but at least I feel like I am moving in the right direction. Thanks everyone!

Lessons learned:
I need a kayak stakeout pole ASAP.
I need to look into getting a stronger reel
listen twice as much as you speak and you may just learn a thing or two.
Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish Seafood Oily fish
Jaw Safety glove Gesture Service Human leg

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Congrats again...... Stakeout pole and anchor are over rated UNLESS it is super windy or you intend to soak bait. I rarely ever carry mine with me. Treat yourself to a Stradic 3000 and put it on either an HMG 7' Medium fast action rod or a Teramar 7' Medium Fast action rod. You work hard for your money and deserve it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I hardly use my anchor as well. I like catching the perfect slow drift that allows you to drift down the bank just right to fish and keep moving at the same time. Yesterday it was a definite necessity tho. Man, I was reading reviews about this Stradics, and I also fished it when I went out with Ashley King. They are so nice.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Nice fish.
A 2000 series reel will do the job and isn't really "outgunned" Imo but, as trigger said, a 3000 stradic would be a great improvement.
I have two stake poles but rarely use them. Lately I've been landing on grass islands and walking on these to fish or just standing in the kayak.
Being higher is so much better for fishing.
I guess where you fish has a lot to do with how to secure the kayak in one spot.
Wind being what is seems to always be there needs to be a way to stay put.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm definitely going to be in the market for a reel. I really do like my Penn 2000 but I would like another reel. Price is an issue. I dunno if I can afford a Stradic right now because I have a baby coming.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm pretty new to fishing all together and very new to inshore fishing. Almost everything I know , I have learned here on NCAngler, website research, or YouTube.

I decided to fish around Morehead this weekend with a buddy to chase drum. I was advised from a fellow NCAngler member to fish around the marsh, throw top water and a Johnson Silver Minnow spoon. I paddled around throwing in the marsh for a while and then the wind started picking up. It was then I realized my homemade anchor was absolutely useless. I then decided to paddle behind a bank to get out of the wind. As soon and I turned the bank, I saw bait flipping and darting in every direction. I quickly got into casting distance and squeezed in close to the marsh to stay out of the wind. I casted a spook Jr and on my first cast, immediately when the lure hit the water SMASH! My first redfish top water hit (what an explosion)! As soon as my line got tight from my cast my reel started screaming. He probably pulled out a solid 50 feet of line treating my Penn Fierce 2000 like it was a ball of yarn. It was at this point, I felt a little undergunned with this reel. After a lengthy fight and a couple runs, I got him in visibility where he then saw my kayak and ran out another 50 feet of drag. With my anchor issues I was having earlier, this drum towed me in several different circles like it was nothing. After another ridiculous fight, I finally got him in the net. After measuring at 29", I then had to try to figure out how to take a picture with my shaky, andrenalin ridden hands (sorry for the quality.)

This drum is the first overslot I have ever caught and he hit topwater which is an experience in itself. Feeling the power behind this beautiful fish was an experience of a lifetime. If I wasn't hooked on inshore fishing before (which I was) I am now.

I got stationed in Havelock about a year ago and decided to pick up fishing all together as a hobby because I couldn't see of doing anything else around here. For the last year, I haven't had the greatest success and it has been a pretty steep learning curve. I diligently kept scouring this sight and asking questions and bugging all of you. I want to personally thank anyone who has helped me and given me advice. You all have literally taught me everything I know and made my learning curve that much easier. I by no means consider myself experienced by any means now, but at least I feel like I am moving in the right direction. Thanks everyone!

Lessons learned:
I need a kayak stakeout pole ASAP.
I need to look into getting a stronger reel
listen twice as much as you speak and you may just learn a thing or two.
View attachment 73091 View attachment 73090
Well told fishing story. Thanks for the story and for your service.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
congrats! gorgeous catch! keep at it! hard to top an overslot drum fight!!!!
thanks man. It was defenitly an experience of a lifetime. One I want to re-live for sure. I'm going to be itching to get back at there all week while grinding at work!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You live in a prime location for some world class drum fishin... coming up soon...
Can't wait! Defenitly gonna try for some old drum! Yesterday showed me that I am not near well equipped enough with my current setup. In the market for a 4000 here soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice fish.
A 2000 series reel will do the job and isn't really "outgunned" Imo but, as trigger said, a 3000 stradic would be a great improvement.
I have two stake poles but rarely use them. Lately I've been landing on grass islands and walking on these to fish or just standing in the kayak.
Being higher is so much better for fishing.
I guess where you fish has a lot to do with how to secure the kayak in one spot.
Wind being what is seems to always be there needs to be a way to stay put.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
unfortunatley I don't think my 230 lb butt is able to stand up in my yak. I bought a cheapie to learn the ins and outs of kayak fishing with. I'm eventually going to look into getting a better, more stable yak in the future. Keeping an eye out for a transitioning Marine that is looking to get rid of theirs cheap. Waiting for the deal to pounce on. For now, I don't mind my cheapie one tho.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Nice work man! I have 2 of the Penn Fierce 3000's, one paired with a 7'6", one paired with a 7', I caught one that was just over 28" and I didn't feel undergunned in the least. Those fish fight hard and will pull drag, but that's part of the fun IMO. The battle with mine was incredible, it made the runs every time it neared the boat like you mentioned, but overall it only lasted between 1 and 2 minutes, maybe less so I feel my 3000 was perfect for it. I am concerned that 'old drum' will over power my 3000's, so I will be getting something just a bit more robust before the Bay River M&G, or as soon as I hook an old drum and it spools me, if I'm lucky enough to have that happen before September.

Reactions: Dillard
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.