NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used oysters for bait. I just got the thought about using oysters on the wrecks and live bottoms. Has anyone ever used them and what was your success.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt know thats why I was asking. I have used clams for sheepshead I was just wondering if anyone had ever used oysters at all. It was prob. a stupid question but now I have a good idea that no one uses them.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I didnt know thats why I was asking. I have used clams for sheepshead I was just wondering if anyone had ever used oysters at all. It was prob. a stupid question but now I have a good idea that no one uses them.

There are no stupid questions if they are fish related someone here will always be glad to answer, good or bad you will always get an answer lol ;)

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Please allow me to elaborate being you found my previous post lacking. Why would you want to use oysters? What would you expect to catch? Do you know of a fish species that eats oysters? How would you keep them on the hook? I have never heard of anyone using oysters....do you know something I don't?

·
Registered
647 Posts
They work great as chum for sheeps and yes I have use them for bait. I used them shell on put a small hole in the shell for the hook. You can feel the sheep crush them,but it was harder to get a hook set. One of my favorites is the shells that have barnicles attached that way you hook the bait between the barnicle and the shell.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just an opinion, But when i use Chicken Livers for catfish ( similar consistency ) I take a small piece of panty hose ( get them at Walmart for 99 cents ) and i neatly fold the hose over the liver so it looks somewhat natural and hook it on and it works well, have had bait in the water for 1/2 hour before changing it! Never had any fall off and caught a TON of cats on it!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Oysters work just as good as clams if you can get em to stay on the hook. Which they do have a tough part but are no where near as tough as a clam, they also cost more. And as mentioned here several times the food value outweighs the bait value. The only time I have used them is when I have a few hold outs from a bushel that I cant get to open with the knife so I bust them with a hammer and since I dont like eating shell I use them for bait or chum. I also collect the unusable oysters when my uncle comes in from dredging oyster some have broken shells and cant be sold, I mix them in my buckets of sheephead chum, really gets em fired up.

By the way my Sheep head chum consists of
Barnicles
Left over Crabshell
Clams
Oyster remenants
Left over sand Fleas
Marsh Mud
Menhaden Grinds

Dosent have to be all to make the chum but need to have at least 3
and it is nasty looking stuff but the sheepies love it

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I had some that were left out too long, ice melted, so I was afraid to eat them. Used them for catfish bait with good results. They had a bit of odor to them but not real nasty. Caught nice bluecats 3-6lb eaters... and an eel, which also became cut bait.

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD
1 - 20 of 32 Posts