NC Angler Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
i would think that something definatly would eat them.....almost everthting in freshwater will eat a frestwater clam or pieces of it so i would think that oysters would catch fish....red drum , black drum and croakers and probaly a whole lot more...mack.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the oyster, primary predators include the oyster drill, conch, blue crab, Atlantic croaker, spot, sheepshead, pinfish, and stripped burrfish (just to name a few). The greatest predator, however, is the black drum. Black drums, with their pharyngeal grinders, can consume up to two oysters per day for every kilogram of body weight, and a single large drum can consume an average of 48 oysters per day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the oyster, primary predators include the oyster drill, conch, blue crab, Atlantic croaker, spot, sheepshead, pinfish, and stripped burrfish (just to name a few). The greatest predator, however, is the black drum. Black drums, with their pharyngeal grinders, can consume up to two oysters per day for every kilogram of body weight, and a single large drum can consume an average of 48 oysters per day.

;)You're rattin' out the black drum copper. Now the NCDMF is gonna require them to get a license for anything over 2" and between 1-2 oz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone ever used oysters for bait. I just got the thought about using oysters on the wrecks and live bottoms. Has anyone ever used them and what was your success.
I have heard that with mussels, which have a similar problem, you can wrap sewing thread around them on the hook. I imagine that would work with oysters. There is also a video on the Internet with a guy trying to sell his solution. I have not tried it to confirm whether it works. But I plan to try both the thread and the product as I want to go after some sheepshead. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...AGiUuc&usg=AFQjCNHOtFN9fwtfbTqSgLvlvw4rjeTcug

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I have heard that with mussels, which have a similar problem, you can wrap sewing thread around them on the hook. I imagine that would work with oysters. There is also a video on the Internet with a guy trying to sell his solution. I have not tried it to confirm whether it works. But I plan to try both the thread and the product as I want to go after some sheepshead. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...AGiUuc&usg=AFQjCNHOtFN9fwtfbTqSgLvlvw4rjeTcug
Welcome to NCAngler!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Used mussels for winter flounder bait in NJ without thread or anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've used them and caught every kind of bottom fish out there. They work especially well for black drum and sheepshead. They can be fished on a hook but only stay on as well as shrimp. Using pantyhose greatly improves retention.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts