NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I currently live in Northern Virginia but was stationed at Pope AFB in Fayetteville for three years. During that time I grew to love the Outer Banks and all of the fishing NC has to offer. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and grew up fishing for trout and smallmouth bass in the local streams. My Dad taught me how to fish from the time I could hold a rod. Now, just last year, on his 74th birthday, I took him on a charter out of Cape Hatteras to try for a billfish. It was always his dream but just out of reach while raising my brother and I. Well, it turned out that he landed a beautiful 80 lb sailfish that day and still is talking about it. His citation hangs in the living room for all to see. Fishing is my passion (or is it obsession?!?) and I thank him for it every time I wet a line. I look forward to sharing that passion with all of you.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Howdy Chuck- Good to have another guy from Fayetteville here. Nice story about your dad. My fondest memories are of the trips taken with my grandfather. I've been here about 20 years and live off Hope Mills road. I look forward to sharing info with you in the future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wellcraft Dave said:
If you ever get back down this way, email me and I'll take ya out.
Thanks Dave,

I appreciate the offer. And to reciprocate, if you're ever in the D.C. area, we have really good Largemouth Bass and Catfish fishing (and of course Snakeheads) as well as pretty good flyfishing for smallmouth close by. I'd be happy to show you around.

Chuck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chuck,
I enjoyed the story. I'm also a PA transplant that moved down here from Meadville....which is up near Lake Erie about 4 years ago. My fishing was pretty much like yours while I lived in PA. Much of my time was spent on the creeks fishing for those scrappy smallies as well as for walleyes. Did some trout fishing over the years and had a neighbor that was big into muskie fishing and tried my luck at that too. I'm curious....where abouts in Pa were you from?
Jimmy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jimmy,

I grew up in a small town (pop. +- 100) in SouthCentral PA (Huntingdon County). Nestled in the middle of the mountains it is a beautiful place...if only there were jobs there. It's near a large lake (Raystown) that has everything from Lake Trout to Muskie to Stripers to Crappie. The hardest part was waking up in the morning and deciding what you wanted to try to catch that day. Do I grab the fly rod and try for native Brown Trout or the "pool cue" and throw plugs for Muskies. Decisions. Decisions. It's a hard life. ;)
I'm giving the local fish there fair warning...when my kids have finished their schooling and are on with their own lives and I retire from the ratrace....look out. I'll be back!!!

Tight lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chuck,
PA. is a beautiful state. I have a brother-in-law in around the Altoona area so I know exactly what you mean about the beautiful mountains. Northwestern PA. where I'm from had alot of rolling hills much like it is here in central NC but the mountains are only about 3 1/2 hours west from where I am so I do try and make my way over there when I can. My kids are all out the house now and on their own for the most part. My oldest daughter stayed up in PA while my son is in san deigo stationed in the navy. My youngest daughter just got out of the navy due to a pregnancy but is living in norfolk so she can be near the baby's father when he gets back from deployment. If your like I was as a kid....we spent nearly everyday on the creeks or the lakes doing what we loved most. When it came time to raise the kids it seemed to slowly take a back seat but now that they flew the nest I too am ready to start over again. It's been a slow process to get back into the groove again but it's time for ole Jimmyboy to pick up where he left off.:)
Jimmy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.