NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded kayaks and my Carlisle Day Tripper paddle just isn't going to cut it. It doesn't have enough bite and I think it's too long for the new yak. Even though I'm higher in the new yak it is narrower, that and my higher angle paddling style make me think I need a shorter paddle. It is a 230 and the entire blade is in the water when paddling so I think I need a 220cm.

Right now I'm looking at an AquaBound Manta Ray ($85), a Werner Tybee ($130) and a Carlisle Magic Plus ($99).

Out of these three which would be the best paddle for inshore and river fishing? Are there any others in the $80-130 range I should consider?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why wouldn't you want the entire blade in the water? Dropping down 10cm's would only reduce the length by 2 inches on each end and I don't see what difference that would make over all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not that I don't want most of the paddle in the water but it's going in all the way to the shaft so was thinking that I could get by with a shorter paddle and still have plenty of length.

I'm looking for more of a high angle paddle and the Day Tripper is more low angle so even with the full paddle blade in the water I'm not getting the power out of it that I would like.

EDIT: Eventually I'm going to get something nicer like a Werner Shuna or similar and use what I buy now as a back-up/loaner paddle. Since I just bought the new yak my budget isn't that high, I just need something decent to get by with until then.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I gotcha, I have also had a lower angle paddle from Accent but didn't like that much and both mine now have more of a higher angled blade style. The high angle blade helps with me going from an Ultimate which sits a little lower in the water vs. my Diablo Amgio which is a lot higher but I didn't want to buy a third paddle.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I used the cheap Harmony I got with my yak until I left it at the lake one night...then I purchased a Bending Branches....

I have no real complaint with either paddle.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After thinking about it I decided not to buy a cheaper paddle and go ahead and spend a little more on something I'd be happier with.

While doing research I stumbled on Werner's paddle selection tool and using my height, boat width, paddling style, etc they recommend their Shuna paddle. I found a 15% off coupon code for AKC and bought it there for a little over $200. Should be here by next Thursday. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.