NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Join Get:Outdoors and the Greensboro Parks and Recreation Outdoor Adventure and Environmental Education as we co-sponsor the largest paddlesports demo of the year. There will be more than 60 different boat makes and makes for everyone to try. Not only can you try out any boat, you can take part in several classes or clinics and visit with vendors. Come and learn more about kayaking in our community through local paddle clubs and water conservation groups. Please note there is a $2 parking fee the day of the event.

Saturday, April 20, from 9 am to 3 pm, at Lake Higgins Marina
4235 Hamburg Mill Rd.
Summerfield, North Carolina 27358

Tentative Paddle Fest Schedule

9 am - Clean Sweep* - Free
Help keep the lake litter free by doing a clean sweep! Canoe and all equipment provided.
9 am - Land Yoga - Free
Awaken your mind and body with deep breathing and stretching to prepare for kayaking.
10 am - All-Day Boat Demos - Free
Try up to 60 different types of boats provided by Get: Outdoors. Demos available until 3 pm.
10 am - Foundations and Fundamentals of Kayaking**
During this 1.5 hour class, learn kayak terms, safety, entering/exiting the boat, and paddle strokes.
10 am - Pontoon Boat Rides***
Hop on the boat for a relaxing tour of the lake. Tours depart every 45 minutes. Last tour is at 2:30 pm.
12 noon - Water Rescues Demo - Free
Staff demo various advance kayak moves and rescues such as wet exits, t-rescues, rolls, and more.
1 pm - Women's Kay-yoga**
This land- and water-based class improves core strength and flexibility for better paddling.
1 pm - Foundations and Fundamentals of Kayaking**
During this 1.5 hour class, learn kayak terms, safety, entering/exiting the boat, and paddle strokes.

* Clean Sweep is free to participants, but registration is required. E-mail to reserve a space.
**Classes have a $5 participation fee and pre-registration is required.
E-mail to reserve a space.
***Pontoon boat rides are $1/person and available on a first-come, first-served basis.

When you are not on the water or participating in a class, be sure to visit with the Paddle Fest vendors from 10 am to 3 pm:
- Yadkin River Keeper
- Dan River Basin Association
- Tar Heel Paddlers
- Jason Gill Woodworks
- Earth Fare

Event link http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=3780

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really appreciate these demo days. Was able to attend both Great Outdoor Provision Company on Thursday in RTP and Get Outdoors in Greensboro on Saturday. Tried out many boats.. cuda, big tuna, moken, slayer... Came down to OK trident 13 or manta ray 14. Decided manta ray seemed slightly better - wasn't a fan of the rod pod in the center... seemed a bit confining - and that was probably enough to swing favor to the manta ray. For reference I am 6'3 about 240. One boat I did like for some reason...too short for what I am looking for little small - was the moken 10 lite angler.

Drove on over to Get Outdoors after the demo day and picked up a mango manta ray 14. There was a "2nd" sand colored manta ray 14... almost chose that.. but decided I liked the mango color better and chose to spend the extra $150. Great place and excellent help.

Had the manta ray out twice already on Lake Crabtree- once on Sunday - pretty windy day so focused on how it handled in difficult conditions Seemed very stable with the wind and chop. Bit tough to keep straight in the wind. Took it out again today in very calm conditions. Need to work on my paddling as I found myself tracking left as I went...

The only hard part is putting this thing up on my roof rack! Amazed I can have such a simple time taking off and putting on my 60 pound canoe off. But 12 more pounds of canoe seems impossible!

Anyway thanks Great Outdoors and Great Outdoor provision company.

Anyway - Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear you were able to demo a number of kayaks. I don't recall if I helped you Sat. or not but we appreciate your business and are happy to hear you're already enjoying your kayak. Let us know if we can help you any further.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I don't know if it was the wind or what making you track left. Of course you can paddle harder on the left but then you end up with one worn out arm in time.
Trick is to shift your paddle, left if it tracking left, so that it is longer (farther from the yak) and that will keep it straight while still being able to paddle with equal strength on both sides.

Www.hardcorekayakfishing.com
Them Hardcore boys

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know if it was the wind or what making you track left. Of course you can paddle harder on the left but then you end up with one worn out arm in time.
Trick is to shift your paddle, left if it tracking left, so that it is longer (farther from the yak) and that will keep it straight while still being able to paddle with equal strength on both sides.

Them Hardcore boys
Thanks. I've only kayaks a few times before this purchase. I've watched some videos on how to paddle... but figuring out what is wrong is a bit difficult. Next time I'm out I'll try out your advice to get a feel for things.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
You've already got the "secret." It just takes a little time. After that you do what you need to do without being conscious of it.
I paddle a ton of different ways. Sometimes from conditions but sometimes just because variety of motion is good on long stretches.
Some of the ways would be considered bad form if done all the time.
From how hard, back angle, torso rotation, shaft angle, grip, where you enter the water, angle of the stroke, how far you go back, how you pop the blade out of the water- they all come together.( and your hips and legs are used in a SIK sometimes)
Big thing is remember its not all pulling.
You are pushing the top blade away too- like a pulley system.

Them Hardcore boys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.