NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed up to the East for of the Tuckasegee yesterday to Fish Bear Creek Lake. I missed the turn to the access area so I continued on across the mountain to Wolf Creek Lake.

My plan was to paddle up to the headwaters and see if I couldn't land a few trout for dinner......you will notice I said plans.

There was nobody on the lake.......nobody. Instead of bee lining it to the headwaters I ended up exploring every cove, nook, and cranny of the lake. I bet I watched kids on a rope swing performing their aerial acrobatics for close to 45 minutes. Chit chatted with a few property owners.

I did final make it to the headwaters, but the winds started picking up out of the west and the skies started turning gray...... the afternoon thunder boomers were rolling in. I did make it to the landing and got loaded back up before the bottom dropped out of it.

Driving home I got tickled with myself that my main objective was to fish, but with the peacefulness and tranquility I just ended up paddling. It was an awesome 3 to 4 hours!!

Heading back up there Thursday morning to give it another go............

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've fished Bear Creek once years ago but I've never fished Wolf Creek. They are both beautiful lakes. I caught a decent trout in a small stream that feeds Bear Creek. If memory serves me correct it was about halfway up on the left side. I got out of the boat and caught it at the base a waterfall a few yards off the lake. I need to get back up there, those lakes are perfect for kayaking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's the adventure....the fish are just a bonus.
That's exactly right. The types of fishing I like all have a little adventure that goes along with them. Hiking in and fishing for mountain trout, going down a seldom fished river in the kayak, and paddling the marshes and coastal creeks/rivers are the things I like the best.

Put me on a bass boat or an offshore charter boat and I'm bored out of my mind.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ten 4............

·
Registered
201 Posts
Caught a bunch of bluegill out of Bear Creek Lake about a month ago. Every single one was loaded with parasites.. Be careful!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I got a kayak just over 3 years ago because I loved getting out on my friends boats and fishing. I could not afford a boat so I got a kayak so I could go out on my schedule. So I guess I was a fisherman who paddled but many trips since then have turned into a paddler who fishes. Sometimes I'll take a trip just to enjoy being on the water and take in the scenery but usually have something trolling behind me. There's nothing quite like paddling along a beautiful creek getting lost in the scenery and nature then all of a sudden being reminded that your fishing by drag being ripped from the line you were trolling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts