NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about flounder gigging in the Pamlico River? I have heard about people gigging in the Pamlico but wasn't sure if it was in the river or in the bay out near the the outer banks. I've only been down at topsail and had a great time. I am wondering if the water was clear enough and there was enough sandy bottom to go gigging in the pamlico river area. I will be getting a nice jon boat in the next 6 months that I can take but i am not sure where to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have never gigged in the Pamlico but my father-in-law used to gig in the pamlico river many years ago. He said at times is was fairly productive but nothing like it was at the beach around Harker's Island, Beaufort, etc. The south side of the river has some shallow areas. There is an area just beside the phosphate mine, a couple of points between the mouth of Durham Creek and Bount's Creek, the right side of Blounts Bay and also the mouth of St. Clair creek on the north side. Again, I have never tried on the Pamlico but these are the areas he used to work many years ago. I imagine that visibility can be tough on the river.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lbg,
Thanks for the reply! I was starting to think that the rumours were all in my head since no one had commented in a couple days. I might give it a try but from what you've said it might be more reliable to just travel the extra hour down to morehead. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.