NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have family who owns a house on the Pamlico River near Bayview and Mixon Creek. I've noticed that the last couple of times I've gone out there to fish the water has been really fresh and just about completely void of life. While visiting family is great and all, I also like to make day trips to fish there also but have learned that it really sucks when the water is really fresh. I absolutely slay the specs, reds, and flounder when it's brackish/salt but get skunked every time I go and it's turned fresh.

I know it turns fresh after lots of rain. Are there any "rules" or other advice on how long it takes the water to turn over and turn brackish again?

I've done some searching but can't find it, was wondering if anyone knows of any reporting stations near that area that measure and report salinity?

Are there other ways to find out the water conditions (other than temp and wind) without actually getting there and tasting the water?

Basically I'm trying to avoid driving the 2 hours from Raleigh just to get skunked due to the salt water being pushed out further to the sound.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don’t know of any brackish water monitoring methods. I live just east of the Bayview Ferry, am retired, and therefore have plenty of time to fish. If you are looking for a report, the fishing has been painfully slow down here. I have not been skunked—but I have only caught one fish on each of my past four outings.

If I put all my trips together, I do have a grand slam as my lone fish have included a trout, a striper, a puppy drum, and a flounder. All good quality fish, but no numbers. Between the heavy spring rains and howling southwest winds the water quality is poor, with visibility less than a foot. I am seeing very little bait up here, and am seriously thinking of driving down the road to Rose Bay or Swanquarter—closer to the sound. We are going to need a long dry spell, and some east winds to push the salt farther up the river.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts