NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to run down to one of my favorite spots off the Pamlico today after work to get a quick fishing trip in. Things were looking good until the carry handle on my kayak broke. Well the second handle broke. The first one broke during my last trip but I put off fixing it. So, 20 min later after a makeshift handle I am on the road. I make it down to the put in and slide into the calm but slightly muddy water. I find my first spot and start to cast. I get a few bites but nothing too exciting. During one of my last casts I notice my kayak drifting toward a piling and one of my rod tips was sticking out about 6 inches. I quickly grab my paddle to move back but I somehow forgot that my other rod was in my hand.... Splash......I watch my stradic drift down into the water. So 20 min later I finally fished the rod out of the water. That was definitely a first for me but I was so happy that I got it back.
I worked the banks with a redfish magic, gulp swimming minnow and a gulp shrimp with no results. I decided to move closer to the mouth of the creek since I was getting no bites. It was getting dark and I was running out of time but luckily I hooked up with a nice little puppy drum, about 15 inches long. Satisfied that I didn't get skunked again I released him and made one more cast towards a stumpy point. All of the sudden I heard the drag screaming....it was a big one! It was making strong runs and I couldnt get it to the boat but I finally wore the fish out. It was a beautiful 27 inch drum. I was so surprised that I landed a drum 2X the size of the one from the previous cast. After the obligitory picture I released the drum and started home. By now it was quite dark but I had an uneventful paddle back. Hopefully this is a taste of things to come this Fall!
Both fish were caught on white gulp shrimp with 1/4 oz jig head and flouro leader in 2-3 ft of water right beside structure.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That drum wanted to be a speckled trout, check out those freckles!! Glad it all ended well. Especially with a Stradic! $$

Reactions: DocLee81

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right sundrop, he was a pretty one. If it was a trout that size I would really have something to talk about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts