NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday was a Wake county teacher's workday, so my son and I fished a creek off the Pamlico that we had never fished before. We launched around 8am. We were armed with carolina rigs and a couple of rods with paddle tails. The first hour was spent trying fresh (not live) shrimp on the carolina rigs near docks and my son caught a redfish, but the bite was slow and pinfish were stealing the bait. We next went looking to net some pogies or mullet... it took some looking, but we eventually got some good sized mullet and 3" pogies. We tried a few more docks with cut pogies and live mullet, no luck. A nice gentleman in a small boat waved us over and said that the trout were biting on small white curly tail grubs. We switched up to throwing the closest thing we had (cut down chartreuse zman doormatadorz), and we started catching ~12-14" specks every 3 or 4 casts. That bite tapered off after 30-45 minutes and we headed up the creek to try a few more docks. It was approaching 11am, and we threw some cut pogies to some docks, and boom, my son caught and released a very nice drum. We continued to catch another three drum, but none as big as the one in the photo. We crossed the creek headed to some older looking docks, no bites, but we started to notice a lot of topwater commotion (we believed it was gar) and a lot of bait (menhaden) moving around. One throw of the net yielded a huge number of pogies. Now it was past noon, bright and sunny - the worst fishing conditions, right? My son wasn't ready to leave, and he wanted to try throwing live pogies on a circle hook with no weight... within a few minutes he was catching trout. We anchored up in the middle of the channel, and for the next hour and half consistently caught trout, most ~14". We caught three 20"+ trout using a popping cork with a ~18" FC leader with a live pogie. You could tell when you were about to get bit because the pogie would start surfacing around the cork. We also caught and released a striper on the cork rig. On the rod without weight or cork, you could cast the pogy just 10-15 feet behind the boat and just wait and you would suddenly see a trout appear and destroy the pogie. It was mostly ~12-14" trout caught that way. I'm not one to base my fishing on the lunar charts, but I am truly fasicated that the chart called for a "major feeding" between 12:40PM - 2:40PM. Based on the birds and topwater activity, it really did seem like a swtich turned on close to noon. Was a lot of fun. We harvested two trout and had them for family dinner last night.
Sky Water Fisherman Fish Fishing
Font Moon Crescent Line Screenshot
Water Boat Watercraft Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Boat Vertebrate Fish Fisherman

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
Great post, Chris. Looks like you guys had a good day of it! We've been seeing tons of 12-14" trout in the creeks...yearlings who just need to grow another inch or too. Looks like Harrison is beginning to consistently out fish Dad at this point...LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts