NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Catching some largemouth upriver. I have seen a few in the 4lb range caught by some kayakers up from Clark's Neck launch. A Red here and there as well as flounder if you venture on down past the Pungo river area. Crappie in the Tar upriver as well. I caught a few nice Cats and a 16" Red at Dinahs landing area a couple of weeks ago. I've seen guys on the bridge alot the last 3 weeks but I dont know if they're catching anything. I have noticed it is always the same people so it may be productive. Water level is good right now so it will get better as long as the water stays in the river.. we had a BIG blowout a few weeks ago that almost dried it up completely....I posted some pics.. search for "Pamlico River Blow Out" and you'll find the post.
Gars have been really bad!! I think that has hurt things alot too.

·
Registered
871 Posts
When I had my boat and fished the Pamlico. I always put in at Whichard's Beach and would run up and into the Tar. I was always successful up there bass fishing. I think because it doesn't get as much pressure, but you must be patient. It is a tricky run into the Tar. Please follow the marker's closely. Sundrop can vouch for that, I am sure. Also heading out towards the sound from Whichard's there is an awesome little cut to the right once you leave the dock. There are boat slips and docks all up through there that hold a lot of fish. Again, it doesn't get a lot of fishing pressure and holds a lot of fish. A lot of cover in there.

Mark

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Whichards beach has been sold to a big developer. They have torn everything down and ripped out the docks for a fancy new "community" called the "Rembrey". Million dollar condos and "water taxi" service to Washington as well as new boat slips for
residents... Whole thing makes me sick as does all of the condos being built along the city waterfront...

YES1 Tar can be tricky. I got out of the channel last fall and ended up aground luckily it was just a mudbank so the prop survived. I have manual tilt/trim so I had to raise the motor and hold it with the prop just in the water ( a 70hp mind you!) while my wife hit the gas! We were belly hung so I couldnt just pole off... We got out by rocking the boat and hitting the gas. I have and old Chapparal trihull so it doesnt have great draft for backwater.
I use the Wildlife ramp at Clarks Neck RD just outside of town. Nice ramps (2) , good parking. Dumps you right into a creek along the Tar just about 1-1 1/2miles above the town bridge. Lots of bends and structure upriver but watch the logs..Lilypads in several areas as well. Water has just enough flow not to stagnate.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Whichard's Beach going away, but it figures. I heard there was a lot of development going on down there. I haven't been down there in quite a while. I use to fish Blount's Creek a lot too. I have a friend who's brother in-law owns some cabins down there and we just put in right there on the creek. Blount's Creek use to hold a lot of nice fish. I haven't been this year but my friend and his son did well there in early spring this year.

Mark

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.