NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got sick of my squidder. Caught a few fish on it and have made some casts in the 85-90yrd range but I cant seem to consistently cast it well no matter how long i practice, which isn't terribly long because the slow retrieve is painfully boring. I went from chrome spool to plastic, which I don't think it ever backlashed with, but I want to use it for sharks so I switched to aluminum. I've oiled the bearings to slow it down but I'm just sick of it. Until I finally get around to magging it it's going to sit on the shelf. Also, I don't like how weak the drag is, even with the upgraded carbon washers.

I just now won a Penn 555 gs in good working order on ebay for $30. As with all ebay items I'm sure I'll need to go through it and make sure everything works well, but can anyone tell me anything about it? Specifically what is the max drag and does it cast as well as other websites have me believing?

I'd like to use it for 4-5' sharks or rays from the surf. No kayak so I'm stuck casting. I see that it has a capacity of 600yrds of 20 lb mono so braid isn't really necessary in my opinion. I'm thinking 30lb mono to improve castability? or is there a better line weight I should use? I've never handled one before so I'm just guessing. I've also read that they can be magged so if i still have issues I may mag it and the squidder at the same time (I'm bad for using 50,000 different rods when i'm surf fishing so twice the chance of hooking a shark is fine by me). Do y'all think it would be okay to use my old 12' fiberglass heaver rod with this reel? I'm a broke college kid so budget is everything, especially considering I'm replacing most of my bass reels this week too. I don't shark fish much so and I'm used to losing nearly every large shark I hook so seeing as I'm a glutton for punishment, if y'all don't think the heaver is a good idea I might buy an okuma tundra 12' rod.

Sorry if I'm rambling a little bit I'd just like y'alls input and advice on this reel and my surf fishing arsenal in general. I'm running all abu 5500 c3's for smaller surf fish and a diawa crossfire for lures. I appreciate and trust a lot of the input I get on ncangler so I thought I'd share my plans.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If you'd like to sell or trade that squidder let me know ;)

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have a 535 or 545 on my 11 ft surf rod, it casts alright for me. Got a 555 on the rod I used for bottom fishing on Capt Stacy. I have hooked into a few amberjack and the drag seemed to work OK on them with 40 lb mono.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I finally got sick of my squidder. Caught a few fish on it and have made some casts in the 85-90yrd range but I cant seem to consistently cast it well no matter how long i practice, which isn't terribly long because the slow retrieve is painfully boring. I went from chrome spool to plastic, which I don't think it ever backlashed with, but I want to use it for sharks so I switched to aluminum. I've oiled the bearings to slow it down but I'm just sick of it. Until I finally get around to magging it it's going to sit on the shelf. Also, I don't like how weak the drag is, even with the upgraded carbon washers.

I just now won a Penn 555 gs in good working order on ebay for $30. As with all ebay items I'm sure I'll need to go through it and make sure everything works well, but can anyone tell me anything about it? Specifically what is the max drag and does it cast as well as other websites have me believing?

I'd like to use it for 4-5' sharks or rays from the surf. No kayak so I'm stuck casting. I see that it has a capacity of 600yrds of 20 lb mono so braid isn't really necessary in my opinion. I'm thinking 30lb mono to improve castability? or is there a better line weight I should use? I've never handled one before so I'm just guessing. I've also read that they can be magged so if i still have issues I may mag it and the squidder at the same time (I'm bad for using 50,000 different rods when i'm surf fishing so twice the chance of hooking a shark is fine by me). Do y'all think it would be okay to use my old 12' fiberglass heaver rod with this reel? I'm a broke college kid so budget is everything, especially considering I'm replacing most of my bass reels this week too. I don't shark fish much so and I'm used to losing nearly every large shark I hook so seeing as I'm a glutton for punishment, if y'all don't think the heaver is a good idea I might buy an okuma tundra 12' rod.

Sorry if I'm rambling a little bit I'd just like y'alls input and advice on this reel and my surf fishing arsenal in general. I'm running all abu 5500 c3's for smaller surf fish and a diawa crossfire for lures. I appreciate and trust a lot of the input I get on ncangler so I thought I'd share my plans.
Probably where you are running into trouble is that they are CT reels. They cast more freely. You just need to get a good line on them and spend some time setting them up. 20,000 - 25,000 RPM's on the spool is not out of the realm of possibility for those reels with top of the line bearings. Personally I wouldn't mag anything that wasn't already magged out of the box when casting surf weights. There really isn't a need.

Come by the practice range. Some of the problem can be associated with rod choice and technique as well. You have to be smooth with hot reels.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
A squidder with ceramic bearings is hard to beat. Until you have to reel it all in anyways. Hah

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DR I may take you up on that. And Rp my problem is slowing it down not speeding it up! I hear heavier oil helps? Its got 65# pp on it currently

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
DR I may take you up on that. And Rp my problem is slowing it down not speeding it up! I hear heavier oil helps? Its got 65# pp on it currently
That may be part of the problem too. I would start with a 30 pound power pro.
I have problems with 7000's using 50. Difficult to get really dialed in with the mass you are throwing and the mass that is now your spool full of line that you have to get in motion. I got one dialed in real good last week but it's no where the performance I could get with 30 on it. Not even close and I'm running full ceramic. You can't even get the dry ceramic scream out of it which means the spool speed isn't getting up fast enough.

Now my 6500's? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure a lot of it is casting error. When I cast a rig with bait it doesn't feel like a smooth transfer of power. There is always a jerking motion that happens when the load comes from behind me to the front and that is what usually starts the birdsnest. I can cast a weight alone usually pretty well but with bait I am just so inconsistent. Especially when I fish at night. I'm not even worried about long distance, I'd be happy casting 50 yards without ever birdsnesting. I'll leave distance for my abu's. Even stock I can sling a bait with mine and never birdsnest. I love them.

About the CT reel part, I won a lot of Abu parts on ebay that i have yet to recieve but from the pictures it looks like enough parts to make two full reels minus one handle and two levelwinds. I have seen CT conversions for relatively cheap on Ebay and I'm considering making a CT abu 5500 as a souped up casting reel to play around with. How do you feel about them? I have more then enough Abu's for fishing already but I just love playing with them and I think it will be a good project.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The only time I use CT reels is when I'm forced into them. That mud line or hole is beyond the capability of my levelwind. I need that extra 30 or 40 yards.
Even so, my body is getting to where I can't play that game as well anymore. Some things you know you need to leave alone.
I cast nowhere like I use to.

Before all the back problems I'd measure off a hundred yards, put a shop trash can on it and cast at it...and hit the can some. Practice for hitting the long holes as well as timing.

Timing is critical. I do a lot of night fishing in the actual dark. I know when to thumb my spool based on sound and time. The hang time is in my head. It comes with practice. I get some over run once in a while especially if I dial it in on the razor's edge. Nothing major like sitting down and picking out a nest though.
If you are pushing the envelope you can expect a little over run.

Technique wise you my be casting with your arms. You need to use your whole body. One fluid motion. Smooth.
The rod choice could be a bad one or the rod isn't being loaded properly. If it's rated at 4-8 ozs and you are running 3 or 4 ozs. the rod isn't loading.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That explains a TON. I use a heaver rod and only cast four ounces. Never thought heavier weights would help. When i get home I'll try a 6 ounce weight and also try a four on a lighter surf rod.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Just stay within the lure weight parameters.
But to get performance out of the rod, it has to load. That is like the sling shot effect or more like a trebuchet. On the forward cast the rod should be loaded (arched). As the swing reaches it's end, it launches. The power stored in the rod explodes.

Get some line on it and we'll drop it on an Interline and let you cast that some. A have a 10 footer that is easy to load. If that helps you can hit Basspro and look at some Tsunami rods with the same type of action and lure weight.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Got the Penn 555 tonight. Has some corrosion but works great. Was stored with drag loosed and it spins freely and has a loud clicker. I filled it up with 40# bbg. Hoping to test it out tomorrow. I might replace the line once I'm better at casting but I want to go back to basics and work on casting technique then work on distance

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Casted the 555 on a 7' pen power stick just to see if I could get 30 yards or so out of it for catfishing and I was amazed. Even with a very low power cast it sailed smoothly for 60 yards with no backlash at all. I'm confident I can make it up to 90 yards at least with a heaver rod and a heavy sinker. Best casting larger reel I've ever handled. I'd love to see DR cast it with one of his rods just to see what it can do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts