NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at both of these reels. I can not figure out the difference. Can you guys help? I want to know whch is best for drum, flounder and trout fishing? THANKS!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
no need to go over a 3000 series reel for trout, flounder, and puppy drum. Go light and keep your arms happy tossing lures all day!

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I use a 3000 series reel and even it feels a little large for flounder. Considering downsizing to a 2500. Agree with everyone else, 650 is overkill
Can't speak for other manufactures but as far as Shimano is concerned a 2500 and 3000 are the same reel with the only exception being the spool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like stated before, those reels are too big for what you want to do. To answer the other part of your question, typically larger number series have more line capacity. In the case of Penn, you'll typically get more drag with higher series numbers, or the drag will be the same across several series (usually in pairs); i.e. the SSV 5500s & 6500s have the same drag, the SSV 7500s & 8500s have the same drag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.