NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Personally, for that kind of $$ I'd go Shimano and never look back.. Sorry I can't help you on this particular model. Reads well, but otherwise I dont know..

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Spot, here is my take... 8 ball bearings for that price usually means made cheaply in China. Shimano is changing their line up to include a new model. If history repeats itself the old stradics will soon be all over the fleamarkets and ebay or you can just pick up a discounted one at you local tackle shop, wal-mart , sports authority, Dicks Sporting Goods or where ever. I'd be looking for one of those if I wanted a 4000 size reel. check out Corey at castaway's recent post.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I agree with Sundrop for the money I would look at one of the new Shimano Stradic the Aero wrap system seems to make sense in the way of line management. Sinkerman is right that most people have already begun to close out the old Stradics. Also, right about bearings. This Penn reel is made in China and the number of bearings in a reel has been a bunch of marketing hype. Reel bearing have more to do with the grade of bearing than the number of bearings. If you to build a reel with 25 bearings and the bearing were the same grade and quality as BBs for an air rifle, then it's going to be about as smooth as the winch on my boat trailer. I have picked up 10 bearing reels that feel just that way. BTW if you have some old reels that you would like to upgrade to high grade bearings just go to this site. Fishing Reel Ball Bearings:Ball Bearings:Ceramic & Miniature Bearings. I have put some these in some Silstar reels that I have and it makes all the difference

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I just got a little Cardinal3 to get me by for awhile. Dumb question but I picked up some power pro to put on it. The guy said to be sure to put a little mono on first.:confused: Or can I just load up with the power pro. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
My understanding is that the braid won't hold an arbor knot. You'll need mono backing to attach to the arbor, and to take up some space on the reel, unless you want half a mile of line on the reel (since the braid's diameter is so much smaller than what the reel is designed for). Especially if you're into carefully loading the reel to 1/8" of the spool lip for maximum casting distance.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
ok I just got a little Cardinal3 to get me by for awhile. Dumb question but I picked up some power pro to put on it. The guy said to be sure to put a little mono on first.:confused: Or can I just load up with the power pro. Thanks for your help
I think you'll be OK on a spinning reel with our without the mono, but a mono backing helps to make the (expensive) spool of braid last longer - you wind up only needing to use half as much of the braid on the spool. I haven't heard many (any?) stories of people being fully spooled and their arbor knot saving the day. It could happen, but usually if you get a fish that you can't turn with some combination of reel drag, rod flex, line drag in the water, current, boat position, finger on the spool or any other means at your disposal, your little spool knot isn't going to stop it either.

On casting reels its much more important (I'd go as far as saying "imperative") to put a layer of mono on the spool underneath the braid. The mono has a non-slip quality that will keep the braid from spinning on the spool under high tension. I spent a couple weeks one time trying to diagnose a bad casting reel drag system, when the problem was that my whole spool of braid (without mono backer) would spin around the spool shaft on hook sets. This doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with spinning reels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.