NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my teaching duties are done, and I fish often during the summer months inshore. That said, today I launched my kayak and the flounder were chewing. Caught 2 nice keepers and then-my Penn Battle 3000 starts "gumming" up again. Basically, it started with a slight hitch, then became difficult to turn the handle during slower retrieves. I take care of my tackle, don't have all the money in the world with a teacher's salary. Past few days I've taken it apart, oiled it up, cleaned it. Still can't figure it out. Frustrating to launch the yak, paddle to the spot, put two in the boat and then have it start acting up again.

Now, I usually go out with 2-3 rods-ones for topwater the other I keep rigged with a jig, all Penn battles. I do use the "gummy" reel much more than the other, but you'd think it could withstand heavy usage over a year's time regardless.

I realize the battle is a popular reel. It's not costly, under $100.00 so I see why it's a good one for multiple reels, and a lot of inshore guides have them for clients.

I'm leaning toward buying used shimano stradics online through ebay, and selling my battles to offset the cost. My bait casting reels are shimano, and they don't fail me.

Curious to see if anyone else has had these issues with the battle series, and what your preferred inshore reel is? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I love my battle! Even dunked it twice and its fine. I hate to hear y'all are having issues with it. I wonder what the cause is? If y'all have any y'all want to replace with shimanos I'd gladly dispose of them for you :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Stradic fj prices have come down if you shop around. I also have grabbed some good used ones on Ebay. Don't knock the Symetre or Saharas for the under $100 buy. The Sedonas are also still on sale at Dicks for $39 reg. $59 and are decent reels for the money. I clean all of mine when new, get that factory grease out and use synthetic lubes, spray the outside with reel magic and wipe them down often with it. I have serviced some Battles for others and found corrosion and discoloration in all of them. I expect this in a $39 reel but not over $100. I am not impressed with Penn these days.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My opinion on inshore reels: Shimano Stradic Ci4/Ci4+... More expensive upfront but better reels that will last longer than the less expensive alternatives... plus they are light and the drags are very smooth...
I was looking at the Shimano Stradic Ci4...is this a freshwater reel though? I've read conflicting things online. One site says "Approved for Saltwater" another says its a freshwater reel. I take it you use them inshore. I like these reels

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Any reel can be used for either/or. I believe the stradics are sealed, and most companies claim sealed reels as "saltwater reels." I own 2 and love them. Minimal issues, lightweight, and super smooth drag. Makes the difference in price well worth the buy.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
228 Posts
Shimano Stradics all the way. Ci4+ are great and saltwater rated. Used mine many times and never had any problems, although I do take care of them and rinse them. The Stradic FJ is also a great reel. Very similar to the Ci4+ but a little heavier. I also have a couple of Quantum Smoke reels that have been great also. I believe you are much better off to spend more on a quality reel and you will get much better performance and it will last a long, long time if you take care of it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any reel can be used for either/or. I believe the stradics are sealed, and most companies claim sealed reels as "saltwater reels." I own 2 and love them. Minimal issues, lightweight, and super smooth drag. Makes the difference in price well worth the buy.
I agree, I'd rather spend the $ and have something that will perform the way it's supposed to, over the long term.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using freshwater reels inshore(mainly Quantums and Pflueger). I simply took them apart, cleaned them, and used Quantum Hot Sauce reel oil and grease(they're about $10, each). Besides the gears, I made sure to put grease wherever water can get in and had no issues. I've heard Yamalube Marine grease works as well, if not better, and is better value than Quantum Hot Sauce...but I couldn't find any locally(I'm sure they're more readily available around Wilmington).

·
Registered
571 Posts
So my teaching duties are done, and I fish often during the summer months inshore. That said, today I launched my kayak and the flounder were chewing. Caught 2 nice keepers and then-my Penn Battle 3000 starts "gumming" up again. Basically, it started with a slight hitch, then became difficult to turn the handle during slower retrieves. I take care of my tackle, don't have all the money in the world with a teacher's salary. Past few days I've taken it apart, oiled it up, cleaned it. Still can't figure it out. Frustrating to launch the yak, paddle to the spot, put two in the boat and then have it start acting up again.

Now, I usually go out with 2-3 rods-ones for topwater the other I keep rigged with a jig, all Penn battles. I do use the "gummy" reel much more than the other, but you'd think it could withstand heavy usage over a year's time regardless.

I realize the battle is a popular reel. It's not costly, under $100.00 so I see why it's a good one for multiple reels, and a lot of inshore guides have them for clients.

I'm leaning toward buying used shimano stradics online through ebay, and selling my battles to offset the cost. My bait casting reels are shimano, and they don't fail me.

Curious to see if anyone else has had these issues with the battle series, and what your preferred inshore reel is? Thanks for your thoughts.
Buy Shimano as that is your best option in the long run. I can vouch for Penn's customer service though and they will send you a new one if you contact them.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.